Antidepressants...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 20, 2014

Severe, severe depression. For weeks now, I have been on the verge of a complete meltdown in the form of wanting to crawl into a dark hole and stay there. I posted last week about wanting to retire early, and even with all my ducks in a row there now I've come to the conclusion that it isn't the job, it isn't teaching, it isn't anything other than a chemical imbalance causing my misery. After serious reflection about what I'm really feeling (and really thinking), I know this is the problem (I'm sad 24/7, crying spells, not eating, wanting to crawl into a dark hole and stay there forever, no pleasure in anything anymore--I mean for pete sake's it's Saturday and I'm moping around the house like my dog died). After taking an online quiz with my results being at the TOP of the scale for major depressive disorder, my doctor has switched me to a supposedly stronger anti-depressant and I hope that this works. I think I was thinking teaching just wasn't for me and I didn't want to be in a it long term because when you are already completely down in the dumps, having a job which puts demands on you only brings you down more. I thought the solution was to be job free, but that isn't the solution because it would not bring my mood up at all, it would only make my depression less cumbersome.

Anyways, my doctor has switched me from Effexor (which was great at relieving anxiety) to Cymbalta. Anybody had any experience with Cymbalta? Does anyone know of a anti-depressant that helps with severe depression?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2014

A hefty dose of Wellbutrin has always worked for me.

4. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Sep 20, 2014

I like Wellbutrin too. It works and doesn't really have any side-effects. Some of them can affect libido.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 20, 2014

I know exactly what you're going through. Thankfully I 'recovered' because I think it's mostly caused by severe winter blues. I'm bracing myself for this winter and already bought one of those special seasonal depression lamps.

Anyway, Paxil worked pretty well for me but coming off it was tough.

I wish you well and don't give up trying to find the right meds at the right dose.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2014

Cymbalta worked great for me for many years but like any anti-depressant your body gets used to it. I am now on Prozac. I have accepted that it is something that I will take for the rest of my life. My depression started with the birth of my 3rd child and I know the feeling of wanting to crawl in a hole but with the right meds things can get better.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2014

I don't have any experience with anti depressants, but I just wanted to wish you well. :hugs:

8. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 21, 2014

Every medication affects people differently. Try different ones, and DON'T STOP if it gets tough! You can get through this. Keep trying to find one that works for you. Don't get discouraged if the first one, or two, or more don't seem like the perfect fit for you. There are plenty of other dosages, combinations, etc. that will help you out...you just have to be willing to find that perfect combo. Good luck...I know how difficult this can be. :hugs:

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

I took Wellbutrin for years. It was great for getting me to not sit in the shower and cry for hours every day... but I was one whose libido was affected.

Sometimes you have to try a few different ones before you find the one that works best for you :hugs:

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2014

I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia, but it also helps my mood. I can let most things roll off my back these days.

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2014

I understand. I was on Paxil for years, until they told me it can cause weight gain. I switched to Citalopram (I think it's the generic for Cymbalta but not sure) and I don't dare go without it. We need antidepressants like we need any other physical meds, like antibiotics. Prayers for you to find the right thing for you.