Anticipatory Set

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by murph1616, Jul 31, 2007.

1. murph1616

murph1616 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am writing a unit plan for Civil War Battles. I am working on the Beginning of the war at Fort Sumter and I am trying to figure out a good way to hook the students. Right now, I am thinking of using a K-W-L worksheet on what they know about the reasons the civil war started. Does anybody have a better suggestion, something a bit more interesting?

Also, I would like your input about the activity I have planned. I was thinking of splitting the class into small groups and assigning each group a certain state. After reading about each states stance on the civil war, the students are to act as reporters and write a story about what happened at Fort Sumter. Is that OK for a 5th grade class?

Thanks for your input. Murph

***A little background, I am a grad student doing this for a methods class in social studies and I have to teach a mini-lesson tonight.***

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I wrote out a long reply and lost it somewhere in the posting. Typical of what happens to me when I "should be asleep".

Anyway, then I noticed that you said you had to teach it tonight. Oh well, I hope it went well.

Let me know if you still need the hook we use for the Civil War.