Another day and Another school shooting

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM

My earliest remembrance of a school shooting was in the late 90s and I was just 5 or 6 being glued to the TV and watching kids running out of their schools. The Columbine shooting had everyone in shock because it was uncommon to read or hear about High School kids taking guns, making bombs, and killing their classmates back then. Now in the 21st century, Mass shootings have become the norm! I read about the shootings that happened today in Broward County and continued my day. I wasn't surprised by the incident, but I quietly said my condolences to the teachers and the students. It is disgusting indeed how society is now desensitized to school shootings. There has to be some initiative to gun control. No more sugar coating it. It has gotten to the point where everyday locations(School, Shopping Malls, Theaters) can quickly turn into a murder scene

ms.irene likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:46 PM

I agree. I also know this will become a can of worms on this forum.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:12 PM

So sad. This will never end until there's a new method of teaching kids.

webmistress and a2z like this.
  5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:31 PM

It's tragic, but I try not to think about it as I don't want to live in fear.

Ms. I likes this.
  6. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:33 AM

Guns are ruining how we go about our day to day lives. A lot of people argue that it's a parenting matter as to why people take guns and cause harm to many. That's not a parenting matter because any good parent will not allow their kids around firearms

7. a2z

a2z Phenom

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:31 AM

The common thread between most of these shootings is that the shooters are social outcasts.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:47 PM

I think about it, but with the mindset of: what can I, as a teacher of these fourth graders, control? Hence my passion around developing kindness, growth mindset, and positivity.

Obadiah and ms.irene like this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM

All the shooters in these mass shootings have been males who had access to guns. Therefore, we should be pursuing reducing the percentage of males who are able to get guns. The U.S. owns 48% of all the personal-use guns in the world.

10. Sarah Tygert

Sarah Tygert Rookie

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM

Ever since waking up and hearing the report on the radio, my heart's been aching. I keep wishing we as a country could do something about it, but I'm glad we teachers are in fact being shaken up by this. How couldn't we be? Exactly as Mathmagic said above... it just reminds me to focus on that, and remember the students and just try to impact them in kindness any way we can.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:57 PM

I see a huge lack of parenting skills, coping skills, and mental health services for our students.

There are way too many factors involved to have a quick fix.

Thankfully we have never had a shooting at our school, but we had a very credible threat made last year that resulted in the arrest of four students. They are no longer in the school's general population. We try to make sure every kid has someone in the building looking out for them. We try to promote kindness, anti-bullying, and a growth mindset. We have few discipline issues. It still worries me when kids have issues coping with things and can't get the resources they need.

I'm pro-gun, and even have my CCDW. I don't, however, advocate arming teachers. There are certain types of guns I would not allow in my house and I see no reason for anyone to own. DSS didn't even know that his dad and I had guns until recently, and he is 22. We have three rifles and four handguns.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 10:07 PM
  12. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Another common thread was that they had access to assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM

One problem is with the background checks. I don't know how it is in other states, but in California the computer screen ask you questions if you have a mental illness, domestic violence issue or restraining order, etc. Anyone can answer anything. Obviously they check records (I would think), so restraining order, arrests, domestic violence will come up, but I could be depressed, suicidal and homicidal and answer no to the question and still get a gun.
    This is for those who are getting legally. We all know how easy it is to get it on the street.

I myself am pro-gun. I hunt, and have 4 rifles, and I don't think banning guns is the answer, but how to get them and who gets them is the problem.

futuremathsprof and ms.irene like this.
  14. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:06 AM

It often begins in elementary school.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:33 AM

Some schools have programs to avoid this like "We Dine Together" -- http://www.scarymommy.com/boca-raton-community-high-school-we-dine-together/

I don't think there's any reason it shouldn't be extended to lower grades.

American culture values personal freedom highly, and frowns deeply on forced association. This is part of why it's so easy to become ostracized here.

16. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:39 AM

Often for any iceberg problem, the lower portion of the iceberg is larger and multifaceted. There might be and probably is one chief underlying factor, but that one factor alone might not be enough to support the iceberg.

I will hear in conversation and read in propaganda media (which I've recently been privileged (???) to read), the following solutions to the problem.

1. What those kids need is a good spanking! Without delving into the controversies surrounding spanking, a spanking isn't a magic potion.
    2. If we had the death penalty, these school shootings wouldn't occur, especially if shooters were hung in the public square. (I actually heard that). The shooters often commit suicide. A recent potential shooter/bomber in Everett, Washington, even journaled his intended suicide. For other shooters, child or adult, life in prison doesn't counter their actions, and prison is not a vacation stay at a luxury suite; when hanging was enforced, there were still murderers--otherwise, no one would have been hung.
    3. If schools administered spanking, none of this would be happening. In the book Reading with Patrick by Michelle Kuo, she describes her observation of an alternative school that did apply spanking with no effect whatsoever. The rest of the book chronicles her visits with a former student in jail.
    4. Evolution teaches children that because we are animals, we can live like animals and kill each other. Modern pedagogy does not teach that humans behave like other animals; for that matter, animals tend to cooperate in groups. Modern pedagogy teaches that human life and social function does matter and that we all must work together to better society.
    5. Students are taught humanism in school beginning in preschool on up through college. Humanism teaches that a person must do what pleases him/herself and if any one gets in the way, stop that person, even if it means harming that person. Humanism teaches to live for oneself, especially one's own pleasure. (Again, I've actually heard and read this). This statement seems to confuse humanism with hedonism, but even hedonism doesn't necessarily go that far in belief.

[In posting this, I avoided detail concerning my own religious/political beliefs, but instead decided to focus on current colloquial propaganda].