Annoying things people/your neighbors do

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Unetheladyteacher, Jan 5, 2019.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 14, 2019

The druggie in the alley house behind us roam the streets at 2am.

I think they just got evicted. Goofy deputy left it on our house. LOL We aren't them. We own.

2. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 14, 2019

No. We don’t. We thought about it, but never have. I’ve been here almost 20 years.

Some of the houses were vacant. Others weren’t, but the owners weren’t home.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 14, 2019

We have cameras that send notices of video clips to our phones, so we can monitor our house when we’re away. We didn’t want a monthly fee so we got a user monitored system. I’ve used the live view when I’m home alone or when we are at our other house.

We live in a (so far) very safe area, but the cameras do give me some piece of mind.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 14, 2019

We want to get some cameras. DH had a system with a monthly fee at his old house, and he seemed to like it. I’ve never had one here, and when he moved in we did a lot of remodeling and didn’t think to install a system. One of our garages is detached and there is a storage building on the back of our property. It is hard to see them from the house, so cameras would be nice.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 15, 2019

If you can believe the ads, there are several systems on the market that are supposed to be very simple and economical to install. If Geico hadn't claimed "So simple a cave man can do it", the current systems that are being advertised would have loved to steal that ad line. I think Simplify is one of them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Ima Teacher likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 15, 2019

My husband has several cameras set up around the outside of our house. He can view them on his computer or phone I believe. Even at work. I can get the name of the company.

Ima Teacher likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 15, 2019

I installed ours and I’m not at all handy.

At all.

8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 23, 2019

Annoying is such a soft word for the loud bass throbbing torture our next door - right next door neighbors - inflict on us ever so constantly. They own, so they are here until we can move. That has to wait until we can move away from my school district as area is expensive, and getting more so. Nobody else in neighborhood seems to mind our party happy neighbors, although some have said they feel bad for us. (The speakers seem to be turned directly into our home) Can you hear it? It's going on as I write this and will continue all day, all night, and go until about 3 a.m. ...as usual.

On our other side are neighbors who are kind, sweet, and amazing neighbors.

Could we have it worse - of course. But man, seriously people, if you live 2 inches from other humans, keep your volume down. This isn't rocket science. Grrrrr!

And it sounds weird, but it does help to hear other people have the same issues. It feels very lonely when I'm trying to live my life through this this other family's beat.

9. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 23, 2019

sorry - hadn't realized that I have already complained in this thread! Can't think when head rattling!

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 23, 2019

Just curious - are there statutes about decibel levels in your municipality? Many/most do have restrictions on how loud individuals can be. If I found out that I could use the law to my advantage, I would go for it. Own or rent, laws are still laws. I would hope that paying the fines they would earn would encourage them to find a solution that you could both live with. Just a suggestion. A once in a blue moon party is one thing. A party without respite is something entirely different. Best of luck.

Aces and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 23, 2019

There probably are - I have been hesitant to call police on them - as things can always get worse. But I usually call after 11 pm. To be fair, they are usually only loud on weekends, but it is such a regular occurrence that I suspect they are hosting these parties for money. The problem is that after 11 the police are usually busy in my area with more important matters. Funny, I realize as I write all of this that I am counting years until retirement not because of my job, but because I am really (really) looking forward to leaving this area, and it's mostly just this one family. (although there are other sound issues) My fantasy retirement would be the middle of nowhere, with great mass-transit to healthy groceries! I know it's silly, but there you have it! And oh yes, for things I love - my area has very good mass transit!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 25, 2019

Anyone want an old teal Thunderbird or an old yellow Mercedes? Former neighbor bought them, parked them on the vacant lot next to me, and left them there. He was an old car guy. He had a Model T and three vintage Corvettes. Then he moved. Then his house burned. Cars. Still there.

I have yet to lay eyes on the owner of the vacant lot, and I’ve lived here almost 20 years. Someone tore down an abandoned house a couple of years after I moved in. I mow part of it just to make my yard square (I have a wonky lot shape.) and other neighbor grows a garden on part of it. I’d totally buy part of it. Other neighbor tried, and was told it wasn’t for sale. Oh, well . . .

So . . . anyone want to come take these cars?

creativemonster likes this.
  13. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 25, 2019

My gosh all of these stories are making think there is a novel (or two) in all of this. perhaps it is a collection of short stories. When I get to that magic plan of retirement (a decade from now give or take) I hope I have the energy to try to write. This thread had fed my imagination. Especially the cars - what gets someone to abandon land? Story there!

Aces likes this.
  14. maryann0

maryann0 Rookie

Mar 7, 2019

All of neighbors are sweet, but one guy is a pianist o_O plays piano daily, about 3-4 hours

15. MsKelsey

MsKelsey Rookie

Mar 18, 2019

I have neighbors who often leave their dogs outside for HOURS and they're yappy little things that don't stop barking. It was really frustrating when they'd get let out from 10pm-8am. It started to interfere with my family's sleep and general comfort in the home because it was very frustrating.
    We ended up writing a note explaining and nicely asking them to be more considerate and they actually listened which makes it both an annoying but also really nice!

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2019

Honestly, most people do not consider how their actions affect others until it's pointed out to them.

17. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 13, 2019

How about co-workers who "help" themselves to things in your room without asking and never return them.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 14, 2019

Unbelievable. I’m sorry you work with fools.

whizkid likes this.
  19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 15, 2019

Can you lock your classroom door? That would irk me!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Apr 18, 2019

Doesn't matter when administration and janitors have keys!