Annoying things people/your neighbors do

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Unetheladyteacher, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 5, 2019

What are some things people do that you dislike?

My neighbors like to have loud parties on Friday, often late into the night. Last night, I woke up at 3am to my apartment smelling like drugs, and I heard voices outside my front door. It was clear my neighbor and his friends were smoking it up outside my apartment door.

What are some things people do that you like?

My friends often bring a dish to share when we hang out. I don't even ask them and suddenly people are buying me and my whole group of friends dinner. I love this "potluck" mentality that my friends have.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2019

My neighbors sell drugs. And they bought TWO houses. They are upper level sellers, so we don’t have users hanging around. I’d still prefer they move along. I’m outside the city limits and not in a subdivision, so they were able to move a ratty old travel trailer into their front yard. They’ve got some guy living in there. He’s a flunky for the business. Main guy is in jail. Son will be there soon. He doesn’t stay out very long. It was such a nice, quiet neighborhood when I moved here. Neighbors bought the house about four years ago.

They do typically keep to themselves otherwise, and they are always nice to me when we do interact. They also have really cute dogs and we love dogs.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2019

I generally don’t have annoying neighbors. The guy next door is awesome and has helped my hubs with a few DIYs...

5. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Jan 5, 2019

Continuous firecrackers..........when there's no holiday.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 5, 2019

We have great neighbors, except they don’t rake their yard, and the wind blows their downed leaves our way, and we already have over 80 trees of our own, so .....

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 5, 2019

When we lived in a rental, the guy across the street would blast music until three or four a.m. At the house before the rental, a guy would use a hammer and saw at one in the morning and was totally shocked we could hear him inside our house. Idiot.

At our current home, there are some weekend only residents. Every once in a while, there will be a loud party. At our weekend home, a neighbor will have two parties a year. Most of the time, it’s very quiet. We don’t have any immediate neighbors at either place.

8. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 5, 2019

So we live basically in the middle of nowhere (we have like five acres of land) but we do have a neighbor to the right of us and one directly across the street. The ones to the right of us (it's a man and a woman) are avid nudists. It was quite shocking for us when we first moved in, was looking out the kitchen window making coffee and there was a whole lot of stuff we didn't want to see. Other than that the biggest complaint I have is the ones across the street tend to have large BBQs and stuff and their people will sometimes park in our driveway/on the side of the road in front of our house. I don't care about the road but don't like it in our driveway.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 6, 2019

SHAME ON EVERYBODY WHO RESPONDED SO FAR

There were two parts of the question and you ALL decided to only focus on the negativity :(.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2019

My neighbors are great in general. I do not like when they let their dogs pee on my mailbox post or bushes. One woman let her KID pee on my bushes. Come on, people!!!
    They are usually friendly and will wave to say hi but I like that they all keep to themselves for the most part and don't bother us :)
    One time there was some issue up the side road (my house is on the corner so my backyard is located up the side road) and there were 3 firetrucks and a bunch of police cars. The issue wasn't in my backyard but my neighbor from across the street sent me a text asking if we were ok since she couldn't see where the firetrucks were going. I thought that was nice that we have neighbors who look out for each other.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2019

There's a busy street in town where one family is always having yard sales. One time we decided to stop at the yard sale and parked our car kind of in the woody area across from the house. Well, LOTS of yard sale patrons decided to park their cars in the neighbor's driveway and the guy came out and got so mad. Now he has a big sign on yard sale day saying DO NOT PARK IN MY DRIVEWAY!! That has to be really annoying for them.

12. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 6, 2019

I mean it's frustrating because if we're coming or going, or we have someone coming or going, then we have to wait for someone else to get their mess out of our way. We got tired of screwing with it and eventually put up a wooden fence/gate combo. There's not enough driveway on the other side to park in without being in the road. And Yanno that wasn't intentional or anything ;)

And Trademark to be fair, I don't really interact with our neighbors like that. They leave us alone, we leave them alone. And that's exactly the way I like it. We didn't move to the middle of nowhere to be friends with our neighbors. That was not the intent.

13. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 6, 2019

I have neighbors, but do not know who they are. I do not like people or going outside.

Aces likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2019

One of my next-door neighbours is well-known for cutting his grass in the dark! During the summer, he frequently fires up the lawnmower at about 9:00 or 9:15 pm and finishes about 10:15 or so. He has even attached a flashlight to the handle of the mower so that he can see!

That said, I'm very lucky with the neighbours I have. The lawnmower neighbour blows out the bottom of my driveway when the snow is too deep or heavy for me to deal with; the neighbour on the other side trenched a section of my yard that was flooding. Help is always a knock on the door away.

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 6, 2019

This thread makes me happy. I thought I was alone in my misery of loud obnoxious neighbors, and now I see I have company! (I am very serious!) It really helps to know that others also suffer from people who party until 4 or 5 in morning. (Mine do it OFTEN) When the idea of loving one's neighbors was thought up, it was before stereo speakers which play bass so strong it shakes the house. I love some neighbors, like others, and dislike others...some a lot. I live in a very very urban area, houses stuck right up on each other, ...sigh. I am the idiot who decided to live here. There are other (bad) issues, but sound is really stress inducing. just feels good to vent about it. I fantasize that either they, or I, win the lottery and move far far away. Either scenario works for me!

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 6, 2019

Most of the time, it’s very quiet. We don’t have any immediate neighbors at either place.

That was my positive. Quiet is nice. Not having immediate neighbors is even better.

At the ranch, we can’t even see our neighbors as we have around fifty acres. At the beach, we can see other houses but have many lots separating us from other homes and they are currently weekend only residents.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 6, 2019

To be honest, I just don't have issues with my neighbors. Although I live in a subdivision, I can only see their houses when the leaves are down. Someone asked me once whether a neighbor's barking dogs bothered me, but I really don't even hear them. For several years I lived across from a church where the bells tolled every hour - day and night. There are just some things you learn to tune out!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2019

We have recently moved to a new community where most people are retired or snowbirds. It's so quiet here you could hear a pin drop. The folks I have met are very welcoming and friendly. Our daughter stayed in the other house and now she gets to deal with the neighbors upstairs who have children running wild and driving battery powered vehicles all over the place (inside!)

19. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 7, 2019

We live in the middle of nowhere other than the neighbors to the south that share our driveway (we have 12 acres and our house was put up by the children of former owners of the house to the south). We have great neighbors who help us out when we need it, they will check in on our dogs when we go out of town and make sure everything is good at our place and we return the favor when needed.

20. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Jan 7, 2019

It is very nice when your neighbors help you out. If a neighbor does somewhat annoying things, but then helps me out from time to time, I might be inclined to forgive the person for the slightly annoying things they do. I will never forgive people if they don't help out, though.

My current neighbors are mostly very quiet. Lots of young couples in the building. People are very respectful and help out, for the most part. I have the neighbor that does drugs on my left, some super quiet old ladies across the hall, and a couple at the end of the hall. Really, drug guy is the only guy who gives me problems....and he is at it again tonight with another loud gathering that just started.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2019

My husband just outfitted his truck to be able to plow our driveway when it snows! He already decided he will be plowing the driveway across the street if he has extra time. Those neighbors only have a very small snowblower so I'm sure they will appreciate it. If they were jerky people he probably wouldn't do it for them. Just be nice to your neighbors because you might need their help someday!