Annoyed Already

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SissyGirl6, Aug 1, 2007.

1. SissyGirl6

SissyGirl6 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

This is probably more of a gripe than a question but needed to get it out here rather than the school's teacher lounge since it was moved to the central office this year. UGHHHH! Anyhow, it seems like every year, more and more demands are placed upon our schedule with less and less time to prep with no increases in salary. I've just about had it. And it's not like I'm one of those teachers who only puts the required amount of hours in then leaves at the end of the day leaving it all behind until the next day. I stay after at least two hours and end up taking stuff home, which my husband detests. We don't have a union in our school (private) so it's not like I can go to the building rep to complain or to speak up for us. If I bring up my objections, I'm put on the black list and nothing will be done about it anyway. Anyhow........I'm just livid. School doesn't start for another three weeks and I'm already losing sleep over the school year. Not good.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2007

Maybe it's time to get a new job.... When I was feeling that was at my old school, I was ready to leave the professsion. Found a new job... solved the problem.

Perhaps this school isn't the right fit for you??

4. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I think this is probably a universal gripe, although our union does ensure we get a certain number of prep minutes per day. Don't you also think that the people who DO more GET STUCK with more? There are people on our staff who never stay after school, never volunteer for tasks, etc, etc. Yet when something new comes up, who gets asked to do it? Those of us who are already going the extra mile. It doesn't seem fair and is very discouraging. This year I requested a transfer (after 10 years at that school) because the inequities were making me so mad. I'm sure it'll be no different at my new school (where I taught for 9 years before the school I'm leaving), but at least the cast of characters will be different!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

I agree that maybe you should reevaluate your current position and consider moving to another school.

I teach in a public school and I am not experiencing the problems you describe. I'm confident that teachers in good private schools also don't experience those sorts of problems to such an extent.

I certainly don't have oodles and oodles of prep time, but I do get at least an hour and a half each day, which I find to be enough time to get done most of what I need to. I don't bring school work home except in very rare circumstances because I like to enjoy my private, non-school life. I want to enjoy evenings with my hoosband and our friends--not grading stuff. Ugh.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

:eek: This coming school year we will get 190 minutes per week--up from 150 minutes/week 3 years ago.

SissyGirl--what are some of the extra demands that they are being placed upon you--are they curriculum-related or extra "stuff"?

7. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I know this sounds kinda weird, but hear me out..... Say no.

when I am asked to add another item to my already busy week, year, day, period, etc. I say,

"OK, so you want me to TAKS train the teachers for at least an hour each week? Hmmmm, well, I have to plan for two preps each day, I am the Student Council co-sponsor, I have been the president of SBDM for 6 years, I teach every day after school in the program, I teach every Saturday. Which of those things would you like me to put on the back burner or give up?"

I am the only teacher in the dept who does all those things, the only team player who steps up to bat, and they think they can just dump MORE on me and expect exceptional performance? I say no, or let the principal or supervisor choose something I can give up.

Now that I am prego, they can't use the "You are the only one without kids/a life/a family" bulls@@t that they have given me for 7 years. Now is me time. And think about your "you time." I call it "mental sanity" time. Don't lose your mind, because when you are a teacher, it doesn't just hurt you.....

8. SissyGirl6

SissyGirl6 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I would die for 1-1/2 hours a day of prep time! I'm lucky to get 30 minutes!

Since I began at this school four years ago, each year more of our planning periods are taken away because they're cutting costs which means we have to teach gym and library now. Half the time the "specials" teachers don't show up and they don't hire subs for them so we have to scramble to find something to do with our students for that period. With the way my schedule is, any assemblies we have interfere with my planning periods so I often lose out on them be/c I have to accompany my class to the assemblies. We only have 20 minutes to eat lunch because we have to supervise our classes at recess. We have mandatory bus duty at the end of the day, which equates to half an hour of supervising kids getting on buses. I am the Science chair and Spelling Bee chair. I often get asked to volunteer at school functions like serving spaghetti dinners, making subs/pizzas for sales, fundraisers, school spirit activities, etc. I tutor after school and mentor students for a scholarship program. Then there are the after school meetings which are held monthly and last for two hours, if not more. I almost forgot the required musicals and plays I must attend.

As far as the curriculum goes, I don't even know what will happen with that this year since half of my incoming class isn't even functioning at grade level. I told my principal at the end of last year she better not even think of taking any more new kids in my class because if 12 of them are already below grade level, adding more to the mix is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe I should go to medical school.

9. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I totally agree about those who work hard are often asked to do more and more. At my school, there are a handful of teachers who NEVER do anything above and beyond the normal job requirements. They aren't there when I arrive in the morning, and by the time I leave at the end of the day, they are long gone. We only have 2 or 3 REQUIRED activities that happen outside the school day...one of those is Open House. For the rest of the things...PTA functions, Young Authors' Night, etc....our principal only asks that one representative per grade level stop by. The bad thing is that this year, we now have 2 teachers at my grade level who don't like to come to anything extra, so it looks like it will fall on the shoulders of me and the other teacher. The worst part is that after Winter Break, I will be on maternity leave, which means one teacher will have to do it all.

10. divey

divey Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I don't understand why the burden has to keep falling to those of you (us) who will say "yes" when asked. My contract says that I am to "teach 2nd grade and other assigned duties" it doesn't say that I am "to fill in for slacker teachers". I know that it's very usual to rely on those that will help more because you can count on them, but there is no excuse in my book for other teachers having to take up the slack for teachers that don't WANT to do the other assigned duties. That's not your responsibility.....it's the principal's responsibility, IMHO, to make sure the other teachers do what is expected of them.
    Luckily, at my school, most teachers will take their turn (some begrudgingly, but that's another thread :D). My issues come from new state guidelines/regulations that keep being piled on. More and more paperwork, and less and less time to actually teach the kids. Is this a problem for others?

11. SissyGirl6

SissyGirl6 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

And while I was ranting, I forgot about the two Open Houses we have per year plus the separate Math and Reading nights I'm required to prep for and attend!

Since I began, I've seen a huge increase in the amount of paperwork, too. It's sad that we've entered an age where everything we do has to be documented to CYOA. And that's all it is.

I sincerely love my job. I love teaching but would love to leave it just as that. I don't mind grading papers or judging student contests, participating in teacher improvement sessions with colleagues, and helping out students. I've just completely lost it over the last email that I received stating we lost more prep time to have to supervise recess and accomodate more gym time due to this massive movement in health and wellness. The school can't afford to hire a PE teacher, which is what they need to do.

I just don't want to become that teacher who is always passing out worksheets or going verbatim from the book because I don't have enough time to find effective projects or activities to do. I get bored doing every lesson straight from a textbook and doing all of the talking so I can only imagine how my students feel. Luckily, I do have some things from last year that I found effective (first year of teaching fifth grade!) but was looking forward to improving upon the material this year. I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll just have to adjust my attitude and do the best I can without becoming a slave to it.