Announcing pregnancy!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by msthang444, Mar 3, 2011.

1. msthang444

msthang444 New Member

Mar 3, 2011

I am a high school teacher (LOL almost typed student) and I want a creative way to tell my students I'm pregnant. I was planning on waiting until the gender U/S Mar 29th but don't think I'm gonna make it that long...I'll be 16 weeks Saturday and it's getting a little hard to hide.

I'm a technology teacher and was going to create a "Brady Bunch" type video (because we have 5 other kids) and put baby's sonogram as pic #6, but am tired of hiding behind my hoodie...

Any creative ideas that are appropriate for teenagers?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

You only need to post this in one forum. Many of the members check all the subforums, and it makes it hard when there are duplicate posts.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

Congratulations on your upcoming addition!

Does knowing about your pregnancy benefit your students? Especially when you're talking about using instructional time to make this announcement, I think you might be a little off track. Class time is valuable and should be used to practice lessons and skills. If you want to make a quick, Oh hey..., sort of announcement, I think that's fine. But if you're looking for some big production, I don't necessarily think that that's a great idea.

5. msthang444

msthang444 New Member

Mar 3, 2011

well, they usually do a bellwork, and i was thinking about incorporating it into that.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

Congrats!

Can you show a picture of your family with a question mark where the baby would go?

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 5, 2011

I like Mopar's suggestion. Congrats!

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2011

Congtaulations!
    I sort of feel that why do you need to say anything at all? If someone asks you can just say yes and leave it at that. I think the pregnancy is more important to your family than it is to your students.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 5, 2011

Students at our school get really excited when a teacher is pregnant. We are all really close to our students, so it almost is like a family. Our teachers always announce it to their classes after they announce it to everyone else. Some of the classes sometimes get together and get a gift before the teacher goes on maternity leave. Also, they always volunteer to help with things and make sure to carry things for the teacher. I think it's sweet, and important for the kids to know why you may need to run to the bathroom between classes, or need to sit down a bit more, or whatever.

10. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Mar 5, 2011

how about telling them you're having a celebration and having snacks like BABY carrots or sugar BABIES while you play hangman which of course would be a message like "mrs _____ is having a baby" or something more creative.

btw, i don't think "losing precious instructional time" is that big of a deal - especially when you can send work home for the kids to memorize to make up for that whole five to ten mins., right caesar?

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

I also would not be concerned about loss of instructional time. We're talking about a loss of 5 minutes, and you have to think about what that will add to your class environment. Our classes are encourages to take regular brain breaks and to do short team-building activities daily. It helps the students feel like their school is a second home and family. I would expect my family to tell me about their pregnancy.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2011

Really? While having class 'bonding' experiences can be extremely valuable, sending kids home with something 'to memorize to make up' for that lost time is not effective teaching. Not sure if this is a reference to another thread,but meaningful homework should be a reinforcement and extension of what was well taught...(and that can include memorization exercises, but not as a replacement for what wasn't taught).

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2011

I also think there is no need to be concerned about a few minutes devoted to this announcement. When schools stop pulling out students for club pictures, drug tests for sports, pep rallies, and a wide variety of other non-instructional things, I'll worry about stealing two minutes to announce a new little one. There is something to be said for a close-knit classroom.

14. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 6, 2011

With my first child (over 3 years ago) I took about 10 minutes to announce it to my 2nd graders and let them ask me questions...told them what to expect as far as me being out for about 2 months. That was it. Nothing fancy but I definitely felt they needed to know. I was already 6 MONTHS and they nor their parents could tell!

Now I'm pregnant with my second child and I told my class much earlier. I only told them that early because they were driving me crazy that day and I told them me feeling crazy was not healthy for my baby (in a more professional kid-friendly way of course). Plus I wouldn't have made it to 6 months without them noticing. I'm currently 6 months and people (adults) always tell me I look like I'm already about to pop!

The 2nd time it took about 3-4 minutes for me to explain to the kids I was going to have a baby. I didn't let them ask me questions though because I think I did a good job of explaining the important things (I'm due in summer, etc.). I didn't have time for "Is it a boy/girl? What's his name?" kinds of questions. They ask me that kind of stuff at recess when they think of it.