Ancient Rome Unit

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by ST13, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Apr 5, 2012

Hi! Im working on a Ancient Rome Integrated Unit for my 6th grade class! I was wondering if any of you had any good ideas for fun activities that integrate different subjects like writing, listening, speaking, science, math, music and art!

I thought of maybe reading a modified version of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar when we learn about him but that would take too much time!

Any ideas that you have used in the past??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

You could have a public forum, have students build an aqueduct, study Roman numerals, make a mosaic of some type.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

I like the idea of a public forum, look at the math ideas that came out of Ancient Rome, the music and art of the period (the mosaics and the murals that were painted in the houses), Roman Numerals and how we still use them today.

5. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Apr 8, 2012

During student teaching, I taught a fun unit on Rome and had students construct Roman weapons...the kids loved it, and I like the think they learned something, too. A second activity was creating mosaics. :)

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Apr 24, 2012

Thanks for all the ideas! I have started teaching the unit and the students seem to be responding well to my activities. However, there is one chapter I really cannot think of an activity for.

The beginnings of Christianity...since this is a public school I am only teaching the history aspect of it. To me the topic is so dry, and I am afraid of leaving them bored! On the other hand, I don't want to seem like I am preaching!

What are some appropriate activities or lesson ideas for teaching the beginnings of Christianity?? I tried finding a brainpop video or something similar but no luck! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!