An interesting explanation to a disruptive child

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 12, 2018

Other Teacher has a student in her class who is just a tornado. Classic ADHD child, possibly influenced by drugs in pregnancy. Generally a well-meaning boy, but, oh boy.

Apparently this week, he pulled out four teeth. Four! How can a child stand to pull out four teeth? Family has noticed similar things..

Now we're wondering if this boy's chaos is due to a very high pain intolerance. He is very rough-and-tumble to trouble, but he possibly may have no source for recognizing he's hurting other kids.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 12, 2018

Were they loose?

It could be that he is so rough he does have a high pain tolerance. Or vice-versa. It could also be that pain gives him a brain boost where not much else does.

I would also consider that he has yet to develop perspective taking which is why he doesn't consider the other people. I'm sure that being rough and tumble isn't the only time he doesn't consider the other students.

4. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 13, 2018

Nope. That's what fascinated us. He was under orders from his dentist to leave three of them alone.

He's a bit of a fascinating kid. He's living with some excellent relatives who are not Mom and Dad because that home life was rough.

WE're working on teaching the other students to speak up for themselves if he is hurting them. It does seem to have an affect.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

This seems like way more than ADHD.

SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 14, 2018

He's probably fulfilling a supposed need. If it is a situation of drugs during pregnancy, his brain then has possibly reorganized itself to make up for damage, but also an early rough home life could result in a differentiation of brain functioning.

Oddly, this post brought back an old Gordon Lightfoot song to my mind, (that Bobby Sherman sang on an album I had when I was a kid), Wherefore and Why.

"Then I got to thinkin' what makes you want to go, to know the wherefore and the why....
    Then all at once it came to me, I saw the wherefore, and you can see it if you try.
    It's in the sun above, it's in the one you love, you'll never know the reason why."

This student has found a way to adjust to his environment, but unfortunately, it's not the best nor the most adequate type of adjustment. Of course, everyone, adults included, are always finding ways to adjust. I agree with a2z, this could be similar to pricking for brain stimulation. It could also be that he's striving for a shock factor, or even a source of novelty. Whatever the reason, I'm wondering if an alternative diversion could be introduced at school or at home. Several ideas going through my mind right now, possibly Play Doh manipulation, music, or visual arts. I'm especially wondering if visiting art museums, especially highly imaginative modern art, perhaps if the museum has children's programs, might stimulate his brain in a more positive direction.

Again, back to the song, this is how I wonder if this student's mind needs to explore....

"Come on sunshine, what can you show me?
    Where can you take me to make me understand?
    The wind can shake me, brothers forsake me,
    The rain can touch me, but can I touch the rain?"

[Interesting side note, but nothing to do with the above post....I read on Wikipedia that Bobby Sherman left singing to become a paramedic and then a police officer. He's still a police officer at 75].

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2018

I work with students who self harm regularly. By HS, it is mostly cutting, but we have a couple who are more extreme, smashing body parts into a brick wall, breaking bones or damaging soft tissue. Even though I have been here for a while, I never completely understand the why, but since I have seen it so often, I recognize the behavior. Exposure to drugs in utero can be a contributing factor. If exposed to drugs, there is a decent chance he was also exposed to alcohol at the same time. Those brain changes are lifelong deficits.

Obadiah likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 14, 2018

On my goodness! How do you help students who have a propensity to self-harm? I would like to know in case I ever have a student with this mental condition.

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2018

You may have even already had one... apparently approximately 10% of teenagers self-harm. Many go unnoticed.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah, that is more than ADHD. Sensory issues? Self-harming behavior? Who knows what else?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2018

These students tend to cut where it can be concealed during the run of the mill daytime activities. If the condition gets worse, the cutting may become noticeable because the cutting extends to areas that can't be easily concealed. Students who self harm by hitting immovable objects frequently have a history of broken hand bones, fingers, toes. They will often remove the cast before healing is completed.

You may notice them taking staples out of the bulletin boards, which they use to cut with. Scissors may disappear from the classroom. Sometimes they bite the staples through their tongue. Frequent drug use often coexists with the behavior in the HS population, and self tattoos are also fairly common. They will often admit suicidal inclinations and perhaps earlier failed suicide attempts. I see them in a setting where they are already getting help and therapy, yet still some will surprise you with just how far the feeling of needing to self harm actually goes. Sometimes the fatalistic outlook on life is overwhelming, swamping their attempts to get better, other times with the right therapy and supports, they can stabilize and improve markedly. Many who get out of their teens will go on to be stable adults, some won't. If ever worried about a student who shows signs of self-harm, err on the side of saying something to the right people instead of talking yourself out of the notification "because you can't be sure, or want to make waves." A close friend lost his child to suicide, leaving brokenhearted parents who felt they had failed in some way or the other. Parents may well be the last to know.

otterpop likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 15, 2018

Was it an oppositional defiance thing then? Did he pull them out because he was told not to?

Janedo5513 likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 16, 2018

His teacher interpreted it as more of a sensory thing. Perhaps the defiance contributed, but not in a big way. Rather, he learned he could pull out one and became fascinated with the idea.

14. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 16, 2018

Man, that's wild.
    Wonder if he would take care of my wisdom teeth.
    All kidding aside, this is extreme behavior and is very concerning. I would wonder about drugs in pregnancy or fetal alcohol syndrome. I had a FAS child last year and he was very similar, his self harming behavior was smashing a pair of scissors into his ear, somehow he never got hearing damage.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 17, 2018

This student sounds like he has 99 problems and ADHD isn't the worst of them.