An advice is needed, a boy thrown out of Extended day care

Discussion in 'General Education' started by anna9868, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:02 AM.

1. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:02 AM

sorry, the mom asked me to remove the post. I emailed admin but heard no answer

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:45 AM

The mom needs to find a babysitter to get him off the bus after school. Lots of parents work and it's their responsibility to take measures to ensure their child is cared for after school.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:01 AM

I can hear the mom's frustration, but the reality of kindergarten in public school (at least in my experience) is that rest/nap time does not exist. In the past, we have worked with certain families and the superintendent to provide a modified day for their child. Usually, in these cases, the child has attended school only in the morning until they were able to build their stamina. They weren't penalized in any way for the afternoon absences, but it was reflected in comments on report cards.

As far as before and after school programs are concerned, if students are not able to function within the parameters of the program, they can be asked to make alternate arrangements.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:22 AM

First, I feel so bad for the mom, and for the boy. It is difficult when you don't have a family member to help pitch in after school. I wonder if the mom could work an earlier job so she could pick him up at the end of the school day? Or if her boss would let her take "lunch and breaks" at dismissal if she worked straight through the day so she could get her son. While neither is an ideal situation, and a sacrifice for her, she might be in the driver's seat here. Then, the little guy could get his nap/rest and not be in a less than safe scenario. Additionally, can she ask for the TSS support to be in the afternoon class? Perhaps he could make it on his own in the morning and the support could get him through the afternoon. To me, it is terrible that he is missing the structure of daily school life because it can be that much harder for him to adapt. I hope she can find a good solution.

6. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:27 AM

well, if the money was not a problem, yes, babysitter would be the best option. HOwever, this mom has no help and is very short on money. That's why she really would benefit from the free service of a TSS provided by the Medicaid.

Here is the question. If I understand correctly, if her child was Autistic he would be have no problem getting that TSS. From my knowledge of how it works Autism is a favorable diagnose to get that help. What about ADHD? that's the real questions

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM

Yes, it is most definitely a bad situation. However, when it comes to the point where someone has to make a sacrifice to make things work, it is always going to fall back on the parent.

It is certainly possible that he has a autism spectrum disorder along with the ADHD diagnosis. It would be worth checking into, but I would seek more than one opinion. Does he exhibit any signs of ADS? Is he taking medication for ADHD? Does he receive therapy?

Backroads likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:26 PM

Sorry, $$ isn't a good excuse to fake an autism diagnosis. Whoever is willing to do that is most certainly not a reputable professional and I would stay away from them.
    I was going to ask about the medication too. Is she using the $$ excuse for not getting him medication?

9. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:51 PM

My understanding is ADHD is still often misunderstood, or discounted "Oh, it's just ADHD and this genius in such field has no problem being successful". Yes, it's often comorbid with other things (which very well could be the case for this boy), but I have also heard some horror stories from parents of ADHD kids. It's rather sad it's not credited as being severe enough for more help.

I second the idea of seeing if the TSS could be moved to the afternoon.

Does PA have childcare services? In Utah it's not unheard of to ask the state to cover some or even all of childcare.

anna9868 likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:36 PM

How did the parent in question know you posted here?

11. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:46 PM

very easy. I asked mom's permission to post, and then gave her a link so she could read the answers.

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Can't you go to each time you posted and delete your specific post? Our answers will stand unless the administrator elects to delete the whole thing.
    Going forward, if you plan to share my advice directly with the mom, I would appreciate the courtesy of knowing that before I write my answer. Colleague to colleague will be phrased differently than teacher to parent. As it happens, I stand by my advice. However, I would have said more about my empathy for her situation and been more encouraging about the possibility of it working out right. I will still encourage her to find a solution that allows her little guy to stay in school. Best wishes, mom of student.

13. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:13 PM

sorry, I emailed admin (I hope) but there was no answer.

yes, I let the mom read the answers. I didn't see what was wrong with it. It's not like anybody said anything bad, just some additional ideas. The mom is really scared by this time that someone from their school would go in, read this thread and figure out it's her. I tried to tell her that it's 0.000005% of this happening, however, when a person is scared of something it's hard to explain sometimes. So, it wasn't really up to me the whole situation

but thanks for all the feedback. it IS a difficult situation and hopefull some ideas would be useful

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM

My guess is she doesn't like the answers so she wants the post removed.

czacza likes this.
  15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Terminological point: a post on A to Z is a single chunk of comment (for instance, mine here). One or more posts under the same heading make up a thread.

Procedural point: If a thread or post needs attention, please "report" it rather than emailing admin.

OP, you dealt with your initial post and in the process removed the personally identifying information. Do you still want the thread deleted?