Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by NewTeacher2016, May 6, 2018.

1. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

May 6, 2018

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 6, 2018

For me, it isn't, but it truly depends on the individual.

I tend to use Amazon mostly to buy books for the classroom (and a few random other things), so I usually hit the free shipping mark, and am okay waiting a few extra days. Plus, I already have Netflix & Hulu, and use the free Spotify.

Heck, my last order was placed Thursday afternoon and I got it Friday mid-morning!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 6, 2018

It's not worth it for me. I don't order from Amazon that often, and when I do, I make sure to place one bigger order (over several small orders spread out over time) so that I can qualify for free shipping anyway. I find that most of my items come within 2-3 days even though I'm not paying for the prime shipping. I have plenty to watch on Hulu Plus and have no need for the Amazon TV service. Maybe the selection has gotten better, but a few years ago when I had prime I found anything I actually wanted to watch, you still had to pay extra for. There are other free music services you can use as well, like spotify or pandora.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 6, 2018

I like to think it is, but it does sometimes encourage me to purchase things I may otherwise nort.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

May 6, 2018

For me it is. I buy enough stuff, my husband buys enough stuff without coordinating with me, and I do enjoy the streaming services.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 6, 2018

I share the account with my daughter, but we will not be renewing at the higher price.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 6, 2018

It's likely going to still be worth it to us.

We sometimes watch shows on Prime Video. I listen to Prime steaming music. I borrow books from the Kindle library. We live in a rural area, so it is really handy to buy things and have them delivered in two days. Some things would require a 100 mile round-trip drive to get otherwise. I have an Amazon credit card, so I get an extra 5% back on purchased through Amazon, and I can use my reward points to purchase items.

With that said, I've noticed that Walmart has joined in the free two-day shipping. Last week we ordered a mower. We had seen it at Walmart the week before, but ended up ordering it so that DH didn't have to stop after work, load it, and unload it at home. I ordered it, and in two days it was here. We mostly watch shows on Netflix, and we also have a big cable package. I borrow books for my Kindle on Overdrive through our local library, and I have a paid Pandora subscription that I use a lot at work.

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 6, 2018

We buy stuff from Amazon allllllllll the time so it's worth it for us. Plus, when they make a mistake on their part, they'll give us a couple months free so :)

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Companion

May 6, 2018

Still worth it. Free movies, tv shows, 2 day shipping, free credits for waiting more than 2 days, oh yes .

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 6, 2018

Yes. I actually only use the shipping perks though I think Hubby uses some of the kindle perks. I order things usually 5 times a week, sometimes multiple times in one day. It's the convenience of it for me. I love knowing it will be their two days later. Their customer service has always been great too. Our PO sucks so things come late from time to time, and they always give us at least a month free out of it.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 6, 2018

I live in the boonies so if I’m out of something, it’s faster to order than to plan a midweek trip to a neighboring town. I also use the music, books, and photo storage.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 6, 2018

It's absolutely worth it for us. We have lots of pets and have pet food delivered each month. It's worth$10 a month just to not have to haul giant bags of food home!

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2018

I'm not sure. I do like having it but don't know if I get my money's worth. Two day shipping is nice to have but not totally necessary for me. Prime Video has an okay but not great selection of shows and movies. The commercial-free music on Amazon Music is nice to have.

Backroads likes this.
  15. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 6, 2018

It will still be worth it for us. There are things that are more difficult to get in our rural community. Also, I think that I come out ahead because of the number of shopping trips I avoid. A short trip to Walmart can easily take an hour.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

May 7, 2018

I really don’t understand why $20 more per year is so awful for some people. That’s $1.67 more a month, which is next to nothing...

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 7, 2018

Jeff, is that you?

18. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

May 7, 2018

I'm here. Perhaps if I were truly mindful of my budget I would sit down and realize I could save a few bucks by doing Such-n-Such instead of Prime, but at the end of the day I would probably blow that 20$ on some other frivolity.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 7, 2018

Agreed!

20. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 7, 2018

How do you contact them to get free months when something is late? I placed an order of a single item with prime last Tuesday, supposed to arrive by Friday and now it might make it here tomorrow.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 7, 2018

There's a chat feature on their website. We always use that.