Am I the worst kinder teacher ever??

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Newkindermom, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2018

I don't teach kinder and never would but I have spent enough time there subbing (in fact my first sub gig was a two week kinder job) but I've learned a few things: those little guys have the minds and attention spans of guppies. I'd like to ask do they start misbehaving and exhibition off task behavior AS SOON AS they are on the carpet or do you notice after you've been droning on a while in direct / teacher - talk instruction? If that's the case, there's your answer. I remember subbing and having to use the Wonders curriculum which is a lot of talking at the kids.... after 15 minutes they were GONE! Your more ''mature'' kids can hold it together, but they start to get squirrely as well. The little ones are NOT meant to sit there for extended periods of time. I'm not even an expert in early childhood as I didn't study it, but based on my classroom experiences with them, I figured it out quickly. I don't know why we have scripted curriculum for kinder because it's not very effective. That said, you need to MODEL and practice basic routines and procedures, while rewarding those for good behavior. I wouldn't even use a clip up or down chart at that level and opt for, like others have said, rewarding/ ''paying'' the students for good behavior and really making the link "Oh I love how so - and - so walked over to the carpet nice and quiet.'' They really do learn by observing others and you need to make the link. If they don't do something right, you need to model and they need to practice again until it becomes a reflex. If you need to stop instruction to do so -- then DO IT! I've found that by having behavior interventions, while an interruption, will pay off in dividends at the end! I always love when I don't see teachers taking the time to re-visit classroom procedures and expectations... it doesn't matter if it's the 4th quarter, the kids still need it. There are certain times, around / before/ after vacations, that they really need it. When you start to notice everything falling apart, hit the STOP button and do it. And centers can be really bad for kinder if they are not trained on expectations because without you right there it's like you're not in the room. I taught third grade and it even took them FOREVER to be able to independently work while I pulled a small group. I gave it the time it needed. You need to as well. And modeling is NOT just showing them "this is what I want'' it's having them go and do it -- ONE BY ONE if needed-- as you talk about how it looks and sounds and make corrections if needed. "Oh, I notice you didn't ___, now let's try it again.'' With kinder you are really training them in how to do school, which I don't have the patience to do.. but God bless y'all who do!
    :)

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2018

:heart:
    ALL kids need a lot of movement or they get stressed and wiggly... the older kids can just hold it together a little bit longer. This is why I'm so against just sitting there lecturing at the kids and having them complete worksheets for 7 hours a day. Sadly this is the experience for MANY of our youngsters! :mad:

And I think that's the KEY; re-visiting classroom procedures & expectations. You can't just do it the first week and hope that it sticks. You have to do it again and again throughout the year if you want to get anywhere. My third graders constantly practiced how to do X,Y,Z and we would critique each attempt after we did it. I finally got them to walk in a PERFECT line without pushing/ shoving/ screaming/ fighting, etc. by the 4th quarter. Then the school year ended. :rofl:

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2018

When you have a few wigglers, stop and ‘shake your sillies out’. They love this! It’s a song, but any favorite fingerplay will do!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2018

Additionally, I am a firm believer that some skills should wait until second half of school year. I just got my kids to do the job helper chart. No way I could have done this back in September. Too many behavior issues, too much destructiveness with materials. Now, they have a vested interest in their room. I can see the maturity and a strong willingness to work together. These are skills they will need for kindergarten.

Leaborb192 likes this.