Am I the ONLY one not in her room yet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Alaskanteach, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

I can't believe they aren't giving out our keys yet! My hubby is a custodian at a different high school in town, and he says they have been done for WEEKS. So what's up with our crew??

I KNOW I was in my room by this time last year.. :(

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2007

They were painting the walls and waxing the floors in my room this week. I just got in yesterday for the first time. Hopefully you'll get in next week!

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I'm not in a room yet (new hire) but they said they won't have their master schedule until Tuesday. BUT they said I will have plenty of time during staff development to work on my room

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Well, we are scheduled to be back at work on Thursday, so I would HOPE so..

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 10, 2007

Nope, I'm not allowed in until August 27....and it's frustrating because I changed buildings and have zero idea what the room looks like, so I can't plan in my head.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

Nope, I have seen my room, could actually work on my room, however I cannot. Why, the other teachers stuff is still there. So I am happy to tell you you are not the only one not in her room yet.

We can whine about it together. Well, maybe later, I deal with it on Monday!

8. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I'm a T.A., but I do believe nearly all the teachers at the school I work at kept their keys. I've seen a lot of cars in the parking lot over the summer, so I'm guessing there has been quite a bit of work going on. I gave my key back at the end of the year because I wasn't sure where I would be assigned, so I'm hoping to get it back soon. I would like to stay where I was last year, but that's wishful thinking.

We are supposed to report back on the 23rd for a faculty & staff breakfast, and the 24th is a workday. School starts on the 27th. It's coming up so fast! Where did the summer go?

9. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I've been at my school during the summer. I've sat in on various interviews we had.....last week I worked in my room a couple of days and 3 days this week.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

The HVAC system in my school is being replaced this summer, so there is NO air conditioning in the main part of the building. That's not SO bad; I could still work in my room, but NO - there is some sort of major junction of pipes or ducts or something in my ceiling, so I can't get in my room until the work is finished. I also have to reconfigure my furniture, because the custodians need access to this one part of my ceiling. I'll be lucky if I can get in my room the week before school starts. Ugh.

11. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I can't get in until Aug. 23rd, which is very frustrating. Still, I've been doing stuff at home. Making everything for my bulletin boards during the year and all that, so's I can just throw it up when I get there. I'll stop by this upcoming Monday to pick up the science text, but I doubt they'll let me in the classroom, as I think they're still cleaning carpets.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

I can't get in until the 27th (school starts after Labour Day). We don't have any formal meetings, though, so that entire week is ours to come and go as we wish. I know that some teachers will try to get in a week early, but I prefer to maintain a positive relationship with our caretakers.

13. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I've just about got my room done. I've been able to get in for most of the summer. Most of the teachers at my school come in frequently over the summer...it's the norm.

14. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Well, at my school we can come and go as we wish furing the summer as long as the doors are unlocked. So, I have been in and out all summer, but we have no air so my trips are planned based on the temperature. I was planning on working in the room this previous week, but it was almost 100 everyday. I went in on Thursday b/c I am going out of town next week and we start the week after that. I guess alot of other people thought that Thursday was a god day to go b/c there were over 10 teachers there. I still hav not gotten the correct desk in my room, but I showed some empathy for the head custodian( his crew all called out 2 days in a row). He offered me better desks, new matching chairs, and a new file cabinet. Then he came back and told me he would have it all ready to go by Tuesday and if I wanted anything else just to send his a message. He actually sounded as if he meant it. I am very delighted that he was nice b/c if I had the personel problems he has been having I would not be nice to people that were in the building asking for stuff. He also moved all my maps from my old room to my new room. Thank god for good custodians. Last years guy was upset b/c I threw away trash everyday during the wek in preparation for school and when I returned from maternity leave. I tried to explain that the teacher b4 me left everything for me to throw away. (30 years of teaching the same stuff)

15. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

THey will let me in on Monday, but the other teacher is moving out on Tuesday and I am on vacation on Wednesday!!!!
    I will have the next week to set up and two of those days are all day meetings!!!
    I'm a bit worried:(

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

We keep our keys all year. I have been in and out all summer. One day I went in and they had just cleaned the carpets... since I had driven all the way there in traffic, I ended up staying and working anyway.