Am I in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 7, 2015.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2015

I'm not a grandparent, but I do think GPs are different than an acquaintance or friend calling last minute. I'm grateful my parents and in laws adore my kids as much as DH and I do....that said, I wouldn't have cancelled my plans and I think you did what you could to accommodate their request into your schedule.
    Just don't escalate the family drama (as they seem to have...maybe they misunderstood your schedule?). I'd give them the benefit of a doubt. Give them a call and schedule a grandparent snuggle visit...they might even be willin to hang out with your little sweetie while you run some before school errands! :thumb:

2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 10, 2015

:yeahthat: I, too, believe that grandparents should get a little slack. Not asking you to change everything in your plans, but throwing out an alternate date and time would be a very nice gesture. My son grew up with a single set of GP's and they were sometimes demanding, but also extremely supportive, always in the audience when performing, always super enthusiastic about what a good job he did. My IL's were marching to a different drummer than me, so there were awkward moments, feelings could be hurt. I told myself, every time that happened, "my son is so lucky to have grandparents who love him." It helped me feel better, because I grew up with grandparents who meant the world to me. I am sure that you want your children to have a warm and fuzzy experience like that.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2015

I don't think you did anything wrong. If it was me, I would call anyway and try to figure out a time to get together before school starts. Is there something halfway that you could meet to do? Or could thru come spend the afternoon one day and then all go to eat dinner or something?

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2015

You were 100% right and "a little bit wrong" at the same time. There is no way you will win with this. Just let it roll off your back like water off the back of a duck. Just say sorry to husband, and drop it.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2015

It's nice to 'see' you again Dave!

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2015

Thank You