Alum student needs a license

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Oct 6, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 6, 2017

My school is very small and with a high level of poverty, so our students are high needs and become very attached to us. We welcome back alumni (we've only been open two years) anytime for help with their resumes or other issues. One of my students who graduated in June was at my desk two weeks ago for a resume workup, and it was a pleasure. "Alicia" is a lovely 19-year old who is, for various reasons, estranged from her mother. I'm trying to do what I can to support her in her dream of becoming a police officer, but she is struggling just to stay afloat.

Here's my current quandary: She called me this morning because she needs her driver's license. She has a car and insurance, but not a license (I have no idea how this happened so don't ask me for details). Her request was that I take her to the driving test and let her borrow MY vehicle because she has nobody over the age of 21 whom she trusts outside of this school. She is 19, so it isn't the issue of her legal age, but I'm concerned that I could put myself in a weird position.

Thoughts?

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Oct 6, 2017

Can't she drive her car with you as the accompanying adult to the test centre instead? In some places, learner drivers can legally drive if there is a fully licensed adult in the car as the 'instructor'. Not sure if this situation would work for you?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 6, 2017

I could offer that as a compromise, but she made it sound as if that might be a problem. Not sure why yet.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2017

If she has a car and insurance, why does she need your car? I think you need to ask her for more information.

Tulipteacher and MrsC like this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 6, 2017

Agreed.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 6, 2017

I'd say your best bet is to offer to ride along with her in her own car (although the problem might be that the car isn't titled... she might not be able to get it registered unless she has a license?)

If that isn't an option, you'd be driving her to the test, you'd get out of the car and let the driving instructor in, she'd do the test, then you'd get back in the car. It's hard to imagine anything too catastrophic happening in that time.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Oct 6, 2017

It might be an issue with insurance. Depending on your provider and plan, it may be that she's insured or it may be the car no matter who's driving it. If it's her that's insured but not the car, that could put you in a questionable legal situation if your policy has your car covered. Any time someone is driving someone else's vehicle, the policies have to align to maintain proper coverage.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2017

The more I think about this, the more I think it's just a bad idea. I think that if the school wants to assume liability in this situation, that's one thing, but in no way would I advise you personally to assume any liability. If she gets into a wreck (unlikely but not impossible), could she sue you? Would your insurance rates skyrocket? Could you be liable for damages she may cause to someone else's property? I just don't think it's worth the risk, especially when she claims to have her own car and her own insurance.

bella84 likes this.
  10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2017

Personally, if she meant that much to me, id pay the fee to have a driving instructor do it with her. What could it be, $100? If it's not worth $100 you shouldn't be risking your car.

11. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2017

I would run away from that scenario. There is something seriously shady happening if she has a car and insurance but needs to drive your car. I cannot fathom any situation where that would be the case. It also seems strange that a 19 year old doesn't have any friends, coworkers, cousins and so on whose car she could drive?

I worked with these types of students, and DH's family is dysfunctional, so I also don't believe you are her only option. You are an easy option, but I have been taken advantage of too many times and told incomplete truths too many times only to find out the real story later.

Are you in touch with her regularly or was the resume workshop the first contact you've had since she graduated?

I care a lot about my current and former students but I am no Jaime Escalante or Erin Gruwell. I am only willing to do so much for them.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2017

That's a lot of money to put out.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 6, 2017

The main practical thing I can see working against me is time. My school is open 8-4 and I'm usually there until 5. We have next Friday off as "personal PD" (burnout avoidance), which would be the first time I could help Alicia. The whole thing does make me nervous, but if she cannot find an adult who can help her by then, I'll step in.

Good thing I'm not freaked out by Friday the 13th?

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2017

I'd rather put out $100 than take on liability. I wouldn't do this for everyone.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2017

I wouldn't do either.

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2017

To each their own. If a kid I really liked was in a tough spot after graduation and I had no more direct or indirect academic connection to them, i would have no problem solving a huge life issue for them if it only cost $100. The money would go directly to the driving school of my choice obviously. There was actually a really good story in the Star-Ledger last week about the Patterson hoops scandal. Three teachers were pooling money on several occasions to put the trafficked basketball players on busses and planes out of town to get to safer living situations. Not sure if you saw it.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2017

It's Paterson, and yes, I saw it.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 7, 2017

It could be that her car won't pass inspection. When I took my test, my car had to pass a short inspection first.
    It's not an easy choice. I'd check with your insurance policy for sure.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2017

I do know how it's spelled, as I live close but thank you for the correction. It doesn't change my opinion though of the action and my support of it.