Alternatives to Teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corunnermom, Nov 26, 2018.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 26, 2018

I love this forum...it has helped me so much and has given me great support. I had to make a big decision and I resigned from my teaching job about a month ago. I'm leaving after winter break. To make a long story short, I had to return to teaching after ten years for financial reasons. I went through a horrible, abusive divorce and I'm really struggling. I'm not emotionally, mentally and physically available for the kids...they really need me at a Title 1 school. I hit a rock bottom place and decided to move back home to live with family, as it's just my dog and I here in Colorado. I lost my only daughter six years ago and there is too much loss where I live for me to handle without support...too much has happened too soon.

All that being said, my plan is to substitute teach when I move and get a side job. However, I'm thinking of putting my feelers out there for other job opportunities where I can use my teaching degree. I was a program coordinator for a summer where I helped at-risk youth and I loved it. I still was able to work with kids and families, but I was my own boss and loved the data/grant-writing end of it. I'm looking for something like this in Minnesota. If my finances allow, I've also thought of going to grad school and getting a masters in school counseling. However, I still need to make some cash. Any ideas for what I could do besides teach full-time? I think I need to be in a better place before I dive into the classroom again. Or maybe it's time for me to go another route. Any ideas, thoughts?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 27, 2018

Some school districts employee grant writers.

Our district also partners with a university to provide extended services to our students. The coordinator plans enrichment activities and sometimes works in classrooms, but doesn’t have designated class teaching duties.