Alternatives to popsicle sticks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 12, 2008.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

I have a phobia of popsicle sticks, and these save my life :)

2. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I love those!! And you would use them to assign students?

4. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

I use the popsicle sticks with the students' names on them and just have them in a plastic cup. I also have a second set in an apron that I sometimes wear. I also have our cheers written on sticks and in a separate cup. I have gotten splinters from the ones in the apron though! I like the poker chips idea to help with this though.

Does anyone have the Classroom Wheel from Really Good Stuff?
    http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/spec...net&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EML10000307

I saw it in one of their catalogs and thought it looked interesting. It has disks that you can change out and one appears to be a blank disk where you could write down students' names. If you do use it let me know, I'm thinking about trying it, but it's about $40.00.

5. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

Buttons

I found some great big buttons on the Oriental Trading website. Here are the links:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...g&Source=Google&sd=1+Lb.+Of+Great+Big+Buttons

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/b...og&Source=Google&sd=Bright+Big+Lacing+Buttons

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

Good stuff, you guys! You gave me sort of an idea. When I go garage sale shopping this weekend I am going to check out board games for pieces that I can use in lieu of popsicle sticks. I saw some last weekend that I could have gotten cheap but didn't since they appeared to have missing pieces. I can buy one that has missing things & use the pieces. I did get the game of life for $4 but it's brand new.

7. iteachstars

iteachstars Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

I use mini-frisbees. They are about 3 inches across and I just numbered them with a sharpie. The sets I have came from an easter clearance- 8/$1 and they've lasted for several years, but I see cute ones at dollar tree all the time.

I have also seen teachers use popsicle sticks shaped like girls and boys that they had their students color with washable markers. It's a step up from the traditional sticks...

8. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jun 13, 2008

Twist off bottle caps?

What if you painted some twist off bottle caps and then wrote student names on those?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 13, 2008

BevAnn, your avitar looks like she's just down about 8 espressos!:woot:

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 13, 2008

If you go to Michael's they have all these little painted things in the wood section. I think they are 25 cents each (sometimes they go on sale) and I have used them for game pieces.

But they have all kinds of animals, plants, kids, school stuff, and all kinds of themes. If you have a sports theme in your class, you could buy a bunch of little basket balls, or a garden theme could have little gardening tools.

They are smooth and painted.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 13, 2008

I also have that sensory issue and although I am not a classroom teacher yet, I have seen poker chips used and just laminated squares of colorful paper

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

:lol: What about those name tags that are hung on margarita glasses when you go to a party? Seriously.

Suitcase luggage tags.

Key tags.

Tops of film canisters. (usually can get free)

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2008

How about making buttons with a button maker, but take off the stick pin?

I like the idea. I'm tired of wooden sticks. Been doing that forever.

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2008

My son's 4th grade teacher used plastic milk jug lids (screw off type) she made two sets. Inside each lid she glued a picture of the student. She magnetized one set to use on her white board. Her room was divided into groups and she would post the groups on the white board with the magnetized picture milk jug lids.
    She kept the other set in a basket to draw names.

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I found a bag of river rocks at the dollar store. They are about the size of a quarter, smooth and I just put numbers on them. I have seen large plastic buttons at Joann's that could also be used.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 13, 2008

What a great idea, I'm going to start saving those!

17. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 14, 2008

I use clothespins...I like those because I can just clip them onto the top of the canister so I know who I have already called on. Sometimes, I put them back in though, to keep the kids on their toes! :) If you don't like the wooden ones, you can purchase the plastic ones. Both kinds can be found in colors, too. :)

18. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 14, 2008

The other one I have seen used is just plastic spoons- you write the student name or number on the round part, then flip the spoon over once you have called upon that student already- so you only have the remaining ones left to call from because those already called have the handle pointing upwards instead of the round part.

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 14, 2008

Hey, I found dominoes that appear to be made of ivory (heavy) for .50 cents for a set. I thought I read some where that they can be used as well. Would I just put numbers on them & assign one per student?

20. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jun 14, 2008

That's a great buy, Teachling. It was me. I am totally going to use dominos because I love handling them (I'm weird I know) vs. all the other things people seem to use. I plan on just putting a # on them so they can be used again and again. I was going to hit the yard sales this morning to see if I can find some, but didn't make it. I'd buy those. You can use them for altered art, too. That's what I use them for. If you want to color them, you can't use paint, but you can use alcohol ink. I'm not messing with that for the class ones, though.