Alternative Certification Programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sensei, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

I keep hearing about alternative certification programs. I know this sounds crazy but I have no idea what that means. I have a BA in criminal justice and just recently completed a graduate degree in education which included a student teaching assignment. Is this considered an alternative certification program?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

It's slightly different, but almost the same. Since you are going through your college, it is called (most likely) a Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Program instead of an alternative certification program. The difference, so I've been told, is the post bacc. method is considered a "traditional method" while alternative certification programs aren't. Also, I have found out it sounds better to say you are post bacc. because, I feel, alternative certification can have a bad connotation with some people/districts.

4. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I just completed my Masters degree, (my undergrad was in Ed too) and all the people in my class who had undergrad degrees in something other than Education were called "alternative" students. They had to fulfill more requirements in the class, mainly observations and student teaching assignments. They sound just like you.

5. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 3, 2007

After graduating with a business degree, I enrolled in a university to earn my teaching certificate without a masters. I am now going back to school to get a masters in educational leadership with a principal certificate. So, I kind of did it in the alternative way. My university frowned on the term "alternative" they wanted it to be called "accelerated post bac". I received a job in May to start in August. That is pretty early. Some people are sweating it out all summer. That made me think that my process wasn't too bad.

6. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 3, 2007

In Oklahoma, Alternative certified teachers have a bachelors degree in a subject other than eucation. They teach and have 3 years to complete a post bachlaurette degree program (I think without the field expreience and student teaching). When they complete the requirements they can get a regualr teaching certificate. Though I think about 75% of alt certified teachers do not continue teaching for the long term. Many leave after the 1st year. I think alot of it is lack of classroom management experience.

My BA is in Psychology and I was considering Alt Cert., but my adivsor told me that the sucess rate (teaching more than 3 years) of alt cert teachers is very low. So I spent 2 years going back to college to get a regular certification. It was oh so enjoyable to be in freshmen level Am. History classes when I was 24. :)

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

Here alternative certification is when you have a degree in any subject and you are teacher-of-record in a classroom while you are taking education classes. There are different kinds of programs, school districts have them, Teach For America is one, etc. It only takes a year to get certified and there is no student teaching, it's basically on-the-job training. It was created because there was such a drought for teachers, schools were starting school years with either vacancies or subs and they thought it would be better to at least have someone in the classroom that was headed toward a career in education.

Every year the news here does on story on the "uncertified" teachers, but I think it's better than having to combine 2 classes or having a different teacher in there each day. Most people who get through ACP are very passionate about teaching.

8. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 3, 2007

I agree with KinderCowgirl. I know "alternative" as someone who got a degree in something other than education, started teaching, then worked on the ed classes to get certified. I have a degree in Biology, started teaching Bio, went and got my certificate while teaching.

We "alternatives" are DEFINITELY better than permanent subs, who may have no degree AT ALL, or no interest in that subject. I took the place of a girl who was going to school for an English degree, who was teaching Chemistry. Coincidentally, there was no Chemistry learning taking place (and little English speaking, but that's another issue).