Alternate Route or Post-Baccalaureate Ed.M.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherAnthony, Dec 9, 2017.

1. TeacherAnthony

TeacherAnthony New Member

Dec 9, 2017

Hey guys,

I am a 23 year old potentially looking to go into the career of teaching. I got my bachelors in Information Technology last May(2017). I am interested in becoming an elementary school teacher and work in an before/afterschool program in my hometown which I absolutely love. I am also a male but I don't know if that would actually help me landing a job (I've heard that it would and won't).

I live in NJ and would be looking for a future job there. I have also heard that school districts do not like the alternate route and prefer a degree. So basically, I was wondering if it would better to go for the alternate route or get my masters in the long run.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2017

You are going to get conflicting information about going AR. I think part of the true answer lies somewhere in your desire to teach Elem. Ed., and the saturation numbers for that credential in NJ. I don't know about the teacher need for IT, in any of the ways it can be incorporated into teaching. I came into teaching through AR, but I have a ton of science, and I wanted to teach the older kids from the get go. Although I have Elem. Ed. credentials, I primarily have them should I teach specialized MS content areas, which is 5-8. I hold those credentials in ELA, Science, and SS. I have K-12 in ESL, as well, if I wanted to teach the younger students, but I am primarily a science teacher through and through

Since you just graduated, the master's may make the most sense for you. You ask about gender as a factor. I have heard that there is a need for male teachers, yet I have found/observed that they struggle to stay employed in the younger grades. If you are thinking grades 5 and up, I think it looks good. Male teachers are desirable in the MS grades of 5-8.

NJ is a tough teacher market. Lots of competition. Having something that makes you stand out is a good thing. Like I said, I have lots of science, so not a lot of difficulty. Some people add TOSD, others add ESL, but there is always a need for teachers to teach the computer classes, so you might want to research that angle before laying out money for the masters.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017

Your problem is having a degree in IT. It doesn’t really translate in elementary school. Who’s gonna hire you to teach in elementary school where you need to teach reading, writing, etc. if you do AR, you should do it for Math or Science. You want to go for elementary, you need to go for the MAT.