Aide is not helping

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 21, 2018

I have only had this aide for 3 weeks, but it feels like 3 months! I feel like I'm dealing with a student, not a 68 year old adult.
    Issues:
    She is born again, and tries to bring up religion - and even offered one student a prayer to meditate on. I told her prosleytizing is strictly forbidden and could get her fired. She got upset and told another teacher that I was "mean" and belittled her religion.
    Twice now, she has worn a sweater that has exposed her beer belly to the class. The kids were in fits of giggles and it was so distracting I told her to sit in the back of the room.
    I tell her to work one-on-one with a student and she's off topic talking about something else or telling jokes rather than instructing.
    She interrupts me during a lesson to ask if miss or mr can use the bathroom. If I ignore her, she leaves her assigned seat and taps my arm!
    She stays with me during prep time because she "has nowhere to go." She starts talking about her ex-husband, or how illegals are getting all the benefits, her bad knees, and whining that she's too old to be working.
    I tried to raise the issue of her classroom performance on Monday, but she had a meltdown, saying she's been abused her whole life - by her mother , her ex , and now apparently me.
    I found out today, she filed a complaint about me.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 21, 2018

Document everything. Just in case you need to protect yourself - have clear dates and times of any interaction or anything you witness that is not appropriate and what action you took. (as if she were a student) better to have it all written down and not need it, than need it, and not have it. Be careful of how you respond to her - keep it super professional, and if possible positive - I need you to work with so and so on such and such. state what you need her to be doing. Do not comment on how she dresses - not your beef - stick to what you need her to be doing in the class. You are not her boss, but you are the teacher and need your aid to be doing very specific actions with the students. Stick to what you need her doing, not what she is doing instead.
    I feel for you - this is tough. easier said than done, but try not to let her get to you. Oh and have a clear bathroom policy that allows students to let you know they are going that doesn't require her mediation. ugh. as if we don't all have enough on our plates, we teachers have to balance other adults in the mix who are sometimes needier (and maybe meaner) then the students. Argh!

futuremathsprof and rpan like this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 21, 2018

Wow you get an aide? I would love that.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 21, 2018

Honestly, your “coworker” is very disgusting and unprofessional. Please document everything and report your findings to administration when your report is compiled.

What a train wreck. Nasty.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 21, 2018

Some aides do not have the training needed to operate in a classroom successfully. (Most do, but some don't.) While it should not fall to you to train this person, it will be a long year if you don't set boundaries. Since she hangs out during your prep time, why don't you mentor her a little so she can meet the needs you do have in the classroom. For example, Ms. Almost Helpful, I think it is sweet that you are trying to build a connection with Jimmy and Sally. However, in order to make the help you are giving most beneficial, I need you to do these three things: 1. 2. 3. When we return to class, can you do that? Limit it to three things. Then, congratulate her on what she is doing well. While above and beyond, you can get her to be truly helpful if you teach her what and how you want it. If she does not meet your expectations, you can let her know that as well.
    I have been in a similar type of situation, and after a while, I found that the extra attention I gave to the aide paid me great dividends. To this day, she will always seek me out and ask if I need anything before and after her official work hours, although she is not an aide in my department and has to come to a different building to do so. Now she is truly an asset, and a much loved aid who ended up being a blessing to me and my students and my school found the benefit in me having done so.

creativemonster likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2018

Taking this all with a grain of salt.

greendream, ms.irene, TamiJ and 3 others like this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 22, 2018

Why does your para have an assigned seat?

ready2learn likes this.
  9. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Sep 24, 2018

Make sure you have a official conversation or meeting with your para. If she continues talking about religion to students and trying to pray with them, both of you might get in trouble. Religion should not have place within a classroom, especially a diverse classroom with students from numerous cultures, backgrounds, or origins.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 24, 2018

Document everything.
    Lay out a plan of what her job duties are as based on her contract.
    Document if she does it or doesn't do it.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

Ah, Milsey, it's been a while :)

readingrules12 and czacza like this.