Age factor in getting hired in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachersteve, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2017

My answer then would be not very. Different states have different requirements, but every district I've encountered has expected teachers to be eligible for a certificate before hire. Maybe Oregon has some sort of a short-term provisional certificate? Since you've been teaching overseas, do you have a teaching certificate issued from a different locale? There may be options for reciprocity. You also might have luck if you talked to district HR departments. Schools who receive Title I funding couldn't hire you without being eligible for a certificate, but other schools have more leeway.

2. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Apr 18, 2017

Hi gr3teacher, sorry for delay, I didn't see your reply on this page. I don't have a teaching cert from any locale. I only have my BA , TESOL cert and course work done for a teachers credential. I am hoping that they can give me the "alternative route" waiver where you can work while you complete the license. I am contacting HR departments of various districts explaining my situation and asking if I can be considered a possible candidate to see if they are willing to give the waiver. I am also going to apply at private schools and hope I can get in there if the public schools wont give the waiver. If you have any other advice I would appreciate it. I wish I knew how desperate they may be for male elementary teachers where they will do this waiver thing. No way to know other than contacting them I guess. I am worried most districts will just say go and fill out the online app which is very tedious which I want to avoid if I am not even a viable candidate because of my circumstances. I want a yes or no answer to avoid wasting my time but you can't really say that in the inquiry email unfortunately. I sent my first one today to the HR head and am eager to see if they will give me a straight honest answer..