Age factor in getting hired in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachersteve, Mar 7, 2017.

1. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 7, 2017

I have already asked if getting hired without my credential would be hard and did not receive a favorable response, even though I am very close to getting the credential. Now I am worried my age may hinder me in getting hired.
    I am 53. I have more 20 years teaching experience mostly overseas where I am now, although I did teach 7th grade English and I have completed my student teaching in grade 3 and 6. I also substituted for a year and a half while taking the credential classes. I am hoping to settle in a rural area in Oregon. I would appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Phenom

Mar 8, 2017

I can't speak to Oregon, but age should not be a problem, IMHO.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 8, 2017

You'll have a good chance getting hired in a rural area in Oregon. But you will need that credential, and you have to stress to your prospects that you will get it soon after being hired.

otterpop likes this.
  5. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 9, 2017

Peregrin, that is encouraging to hear. Can you please recommend or give me the names of towns in rural places that I can search for openings? One teacher recommended Klamath Falls and I am looking into that, but the more places I can apply at the better.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 9, 2017

Here is a spreadsheet of some rural schools. I don't know the area that well, and would rather not post on here the district that I work at.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....a/eligible14/or.xls+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

One of the reasons that it's easier to get hired in rural districts however is the high turnover.

7. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 12, 2017

Peregrin, thanks again for the spreadsheet. I understand you not wanting to post certain things here. Maybe you can send me a PM. Why is there such a high turnover in rural areas? I'm glad to hear that as it plays in my favor.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 12, 2017

Rural areas tend to have similar problems to urban areas: high poverty, behavior issues, high drop-out rates, drug problems, low attendance. The main difference in my opinion is that the rural areas are simply far more conservative and more uniform in ethnicity (mostly white). I guess you'd also likely have less gang violence. For some reason these schools also don't attract the best administration, thus the high turn-over. You can shoot me a PM if you'd like.

I know that this environment has definitely grated on me, not just for its conservative values but for the sheer number of kids who have flat out said that they don't plan on graduating and they don't care about higher education or their diplomas and they'd rather just work at the Wendy's or be a low-wage farm hand. Farming is important, don't get me wrong, and we need people to occupy those low-wage jobs, but it's never what you want for your students.

9. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 13, 2017

Peregrin, Thank you for your candid answer. I really appreciate all this info. It appears I am unable to send private messages yet. Must be a rookie rule. Perhaps you could message me and I can reply. Being from a conservative small town in nor cal I feel I rural Oregon would be better fit than a city as I have lived in big cities and prefer the rural life. Sad to hear the attitude of students. I can't imagine them not wanting or caring about graduating. Even though many of my friends stayed in our small farming town, they still had an interest to complete their studies and graduate. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 13, 2017

Apparently I can't message you either (because of your restriction). lol!

Well, your best bet is to look for positions on SchoolSpring anyway. Most districts advertise their positions on there. Otherwise you have to visit each district page individually.

11. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 13, 2017

That is a bit funny. Wonder why they restrict me. Anyway, an old school friend who is a principal in CA suggested I start at the private/christian school level until I get certified. Any thoughts on that or where they advertise? I swear this is my last question.haha

12. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Mar 13, 2017

Hi, teachersteve! Teaching in a catholic, private, independent, or charter school is a great way to gain experience until you're certified. Because you already hold much experience overseas teaching English, I think you should have little problems finding either a English, English Language Arts, or ESOL position in those types of schools. Definitely highlight that experience on your resume and cover letter. Oh yes, and don't forget that almighty cover letter, to help you stand out! Discuss your various experiences teaching English abroad on your cover letter, and also what you can bring to the table here in the states. Best. :)

13. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 14, 2017

Thank you so much Secondary Teach for chiming in. Can you steer me towards the sites or how best to find the openings for these schools? I am at a bit of a loss not having been in the states for some time and knowing where these ads or postings are. Do you know if there are these types of schools in rural areas or only in the bigger cities? Thanks.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 14, 2017

I don't know if it's the primary place they advertise but I have seen private school positions on SchoolSpring as well. You might see a few private schools in the rural areas, but simply because there are more people there will likely be more private schools in the cities.

15. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Mar 16, 2017

I would find the place you truly want to be, urban, suburban or rural, and apply there. Why not go for your dream? I don't see your age as a barrier. The district may regard it as an asset. I suggest you avoid private or charter schools since they tend to pay less and have fewer benefits. Go for the best job you can get.

16. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Thank you Tyler for your words of encouragement. I will simply have to apply at some schools
    I find on schoolspring.com and hope that I can compete with the other applicants. My biggest concern is whether or not the school is willing, and allowed to, let me work while I complete the credential. I am very worried there will be enough other applicants that are already credentialed so the school will not want to bother with my situation. Any knowledge or thoughts on this?

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 20, 2017

Most districts will take a credentialed teacher (or at least a teacher who is immediately eligible to receive one) over a non-credentialed teacher. By close to receiving your credential, are you talking class(es) in the fall, or are you talking about making sure you've signed everything on your application? If it's the former, wait until you've taken all your classes. If it's the latter, send in your application today and put on any resumes you send out that your certification is pending state approval.

18. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Hi Gr3teacher, I completed my mult-subject teaching credential courses back in 1998 in Calif. Never took the final State exam. I hope that I only have to take the credentialing exam which would now be in Oregon as that is where I want to live. Maybe there is some new course that is now required since 1998 but I have yet to find out. I guess the Oregon Dept of Ed could answer that. If so, then I will need to take that course. Then I can take the state exam. I need to get my first-aid renewed also.
    So in my case do you think even though all the ads I read say "need Oregon credential" that I can apply and be given close to equal consideration to that of an already credentialed teacher? Thanks

19. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

Don't be so hard on yourself! Lots of new hires in my district were people over 50. Lots of new hires in my district were people under 30. There was no trend so to speak. Lots of the new teachers who were older than 60 came back after retirement and decided they weren't ready to retire, couldn't afford it, just missed teaching... A good teacher is a good teacher, no matter the age.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 21, 2017

I'd wait to apply until you have all the requirements in hand.

21. teachersteve

teachersteve Rookie

Mar 22, 2017

Gr3teacher, I appreciate your suggestion but really not an option. I can't complete all that is needed in Oregon, while living and working overseas, and thus the reason I have been asking how likely schools are to hire someone and let them complete the work while teaching.