After School Program Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Holpea, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Holpea

Holpea Rookie

Dec 11, 2005
    I'm a new para this year, looking to get a teaching job asap! But for right now, I really want to start up an after school program in January. Our school includes 3rd-6th grade, but I can gear it towards anyone I want.

I need some fun and interesting ideas! It has to run for 10, 1.5hr sessions. I love arts and crafts, and reading, and want to incorporate those into a fun program.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!
  3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2005
    Let see snowshoeing is fun. Or Rocking Readers. Reading group for the better readers after school.
  4. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Oct 25, 2004

Last year a cute after school program at my school was called
    storytime arts and crafts. It was mainly for the little ones (gr. 1 or 2) and they read a story and made an art project that went along
    with the story. For example, if they read The Rainbow Fish they would make their own rainbow fish or camouflaged fish. Some of the
    ideas were so cute! There are so many art projects that can go along with stories.
  5. ccgymRic

ccgymRic New Member

Dec 12, 2005

I created the After School Kids Club (after school program) in Idaho. We start the day with a story from the "Book of Virtues For Children". There are stories from one paragraph to long multiple page stories. I then ask the children what they think the story meant, you can kill as much time as you need to. Then we do either art or gym (physical activities). Some of our most recent art projects include. Take crayons and shave them into slivers with a pencil sharpener, then spread the different colors around a piece of paper. Place a piece of wax paper over it and run an iron (you should do all the ironing yourself) over it. When your done it looks like a watercolor painting. Some times we photocopy a picture and fill it in with crayon shavings. It's fun, easy and easy to clean up. Right now we are building a snow village out of school size milk cartons covered with construction paper. Just glue the paper to the milk carton and add accessories (draw a door, window etc.). We finish the program with "homework time", if you have homework, you do that, if you get the old "I don't have any homework" routine you give them a book and tell them they can read quietly.