After-school enrichment ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Aug 5, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

Our school has after-school activities for our students (1st-8th can participate), and I plan to run one this year. The first hour after school MUST be academic (due to funding), and the second hour can be something like a hobby, sport, etc. I'd like to do a cool club, perhaps for the primary students. Do you have any ideas for fun and educational activities for younger students?

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Used to run an after school program similar to what you're talking about; we had games club. Not videogames, but like board games and Uno type of stuff. the kids really liked it. And can you guess the most popular game they played? Chess! I don't know why, these kids were notorious trouble makers during school, but after school the played chess in games club.. pretty amazing.

4. nwteachinlv

nwteachinlv New Member

Aug 5, 2008

I was going to recommend chess club as well, most kids love it. Maybe a fun hands on science club, where you demonstrate a different experiment each week and then the kids learn about that topic and create their own experiments. Just a couple of ideas. also, since you have such a wide range of ages, how about a drama group?

5. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I think kids love chess because it's an "adult" game. Kids like feeling their doing something adult. I would love to start a chess club, but we only doing academic clubs, mostly geared towards state testing :(

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

I'm not that knowledgeable about chess - about how old would you say is a good age to start?

When I student taught, my cooperating teacher was a knitter, so we did a knitting club. Older kids used real knitting needles and knitted with her help (I don't know how to!), and I worked with the younger kids (1st and 2nd) using a Knifty Knitter, and they loved it.

I'm thinking also maybe:
    Cooking club (although we don't have an oven, so our "cooking" might be limited!)
    Craft club (supplies could get expensive, but I would write a grant or see if the school would kick in money)
    Art club (we'd look at different illustration styles real illustrators use - like Eric Carle and his tissue paper collage - through an "illustrator study" and make art like the illustrator does... maybe writing a story to go with it)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

a book club
    I did a reading group one year & they loved Reader's Theater!

8. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Not sure. I think 1st graders could do it. All you really have to do is know how the pieces move. Maybe give the youngest a little cheat sheet of how the pieces move until they get the hang of it.

Now, to be good.... Heck, I'm 25 and I'm terrible, but apparently this guy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Reshevsky learned the game when he was 4 and started his career when he was 8!

9. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

At our school we have club days after school once a month for any student that wants to participate. I helped with the drama club. The kids loved it. We started out simple... Some of the activities we did were:
    - Giving each student an emotion to act out
    - In groups of 4-5, give each student a random prop and let them use it in a creative way, act it out in front of the students and they had to guess what they were doing. The kids got really creative with this... it was really fun.
    - In groups of 4-5, the kids were given a short skit to practice and act out. We had one adult per group to help out.

Let's see... some of the other clubs were:
    Scrapbooking Club
    Helping Hands Club (they did small service projects... wrote letters to troops, decorated and filled welcome to school kits for the office to give to new students during the year, made cat nip toys for the local humane society, etc.)
    Sign Language Club
    Girls on the Run This was a great club for our girls http://www.girlsontherun.org/default.html

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

I taught a class of Kinders to play chess one year-they learned to use strategy and everything!

I love the idea of a cooking and art club. My other thought was maybe you could get someone to teach a basic dance class or something where they could be active. Maybe have like a "Culture Club" where they learned about different countries each week or each month, language, foods, etc. Just a thought.

I hope you have better luck with it than our school did. Our afterschool program was a disaster - it turned into babysitting as these activities were not followed through with the teachers who were supposed to be teaching them.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

Some ideas from our after-school enrichment program:

book club
    beading
    crafts
    painting
    board games
    card games
    photography
    yoga
    cool science (make gak, slime, etc)
    cooking
    scrapbooking
    running
    chess

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2008

I would start a writing club because I don't have the journalism at my school any longer. However, I have the classroom magazine on my website and will have my 4th graders (as well as the advanced fifth graders across the hall) help me every once in a while with getting something online.

13. jkmca

jkmca Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

For the academic part, I've done community ed classes that were magic tree house book clubs, we did one that was an Arthur book club where we looked at how the Arthur books have changed over the years and made trivia games. I also have some reproducible easy books that we did as a class for emergent readers. We also did readers theater for first graders one year. I like the games idea for a club also-I can't believe how many kids don't play board games anymore, this would be a great way to get them hooked.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Let us know what you decide to do.