After Demo Lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sab, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Sab

Sab Companion

Jul 14, 2017

So I did a demo lesson today...honestly I was sooo nervous and it definitely didn't go quite as well as I would have liked. The principal, assistant superintendent, classroom teacher, and some aides were all in the room watching. The principal and assistant superintendent walked out as soon as I finished and after I packed up my stuff I caught up with them outside and all they said was "HR will be in contact with you about next steps."

They didn't offer any kind of feedback on the lesson. Is that common? I've heard of people having meetings after their demos to discuss them so I was expecting something like that! I have no idea how to take that comment. Could it possibly be good or does it mean I totally ruined my chances with this district?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2017

Any demo that's ended like that for me I never heard back from and there's only twice that that's been the case. Usually here they have people do a demo first and then interview after. If the demo is a stand alone a few days after the interview there's usually a debrief.

4. Sab

Sab Companion

Jul 14, 2017

Oh no :(
    I wish I'd done better. Oh well, I just got another interview scheduled for Monday so at least I still have some other options.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2017

Did they tell you what the process would look like prior to you doing the demo? I've only done a few demo lessons. Most of them met with me directly afterwards and asked me to reflect on the lesson and asked how I would extend the lesson, to the next day/week, etc. They also gave me some feedback on the lesson. In those schools that was just how their process worked and I was told ahead of time that I'd be meeting with them after the demo. I honestly think they would have met with me even if they didn't like the lesson.

Another school wanted to come to my classroom and see me teach, and they left right after the lesson and told me they'd call me later. Again, I just assumed that was their normal process. That specific school didn't like my demo. They asked me over the phone if I wanted feedback and I told them yes. IMO the things they didn't like were extremely nitpicky and/or centered around things they didn't know about those specific students (there were some reasons I did things the way I did that might not be immediately obvious to someone not familiar with those kids or what we'd already done that year). Although obviously I was a little hurt that they didn't like the lesson, in all honesty it worked out for the best that I'd done the demo and "failed." What if they had just hired me based on my interview, and then I later found out after my first evaluation that the P didn't like my teaching style? Not getting the job was a whole lot better than getting a year of bad evals and getting non-renewed for sure, not to mention that I wouldn't want to work for a P that was that negative and nitpicky.

6. Sab

Sab Companion

Jul 14, 2017

They didn't. The person who had scheduled my demo wasn't even there. And yeah, that's a good way to look at it. I just seriously wish I had done better during mine, I keep thinking of things I should have done differently!

7. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 14, 2017

I've always had a debrief of continued the interview after a demo. Although, the person who scheduled my demo was always part of the interview process. That's strange that the person who scheduled yours wasn't there.

8. JMatch123

JMatch123 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I did one without any feedback.
    I also did one with feedback.
    It depends on the district. Since they said, HR will be in contact with you I am assuming they said that for a reason. Keep us posted!

9. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 25, 2017

Probably depends on the district.

First one I had we had a meeting right after to talk about the lesson. Then I met with the team I'd be working with. Really had the feeling I had the job. Didn't get it though. Only think I could think is that the principal wasn't in my meeting afterwards and that she was the one who wasn't impressed.

2nd one an AP walked me out after my lesson, gave me a lot of feedback, and said that they were bringing in one more person tomorrow and then would make a decision. They went with the other person

Most recent one was only 20 minutes long and they scheduled demo lessons back to back. Literally as I was leaving the classroom someone else came in. So this one they just said we'll be in touch and thats it.