Advice: Quitting Mid Year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applej, Dec 10, 2017.

1. applej

applej New Member

Dec 10, 2017

Hi all! I need advice. I teach first grade at a very demanding, challenging school. I was out the first part of the year on maternity leave and just came back at the end of November. The students are incredibly challenging. I have to call for behavior support multiple times a day. I have students that scream, yell, leave the classroom, punch objects and people, start physical fights, throw chairs, flip over desks, outright defy me and classroom expectations, swear, inappropriately touch others, the list goes on and on. I'm at my wits end and the thought of going back tomorrow makes me sick with anxiety. I want to quit so badly. I just can't handle the severe behavioral issues on top of coming home to a newborn who wakes multiple times a night. It's exhausting and the stress is overwhelming. I keep debating whether to quit and give my two weeks now so that I would not have to return after winter break or forcing myself to suffer through another six months until the end of the year. My biggest concern is loss of income and insurance on top of the guilt of leaving mid school year. What would you do in ny shoes?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017

What kind of school is it? I’m stunned you could get away with 2 weeks. Still got the contact information for the maternity leave? Maybe on the hush-hush ask if they’re still looking for a job

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Dec 10, 2017

How many years have you been teaching at the school? Were the other years this bad?

5. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Dec 10, 2017

Have you been given any support from admin? Have you requested an aid? Sometimes it is just one or two students that can cause the whole class to be chaotic, Have you thought of talking to admin about possibly quitting if changes aren’t made? I would try everything before quitting, sorry you are going through this.

Backroads likes this.
  6. applej

applej New Member

Dec 10, 2017

This is my fourth year. It's just been getting worse every year.

7. applej

applej New Member

Dec 10, 2017

I have two aids that support at different times of the day. It's more than two students. They already switched one to another classroom before I came back and they've capped the number of students in my room so they are trying to support me. It's just so chaotic and stressful. I had a student hit me in the back of the head and try to throw a stool at me. Another student threw his body over the phone so I couldn't call for behavior support. It's unbelievable the behaviors that are tolerated with minimal consequence.

8. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2017

... some of the stuff you have described, I would probably be notifying law enforcement.

Not saying I agree with handcuffing a 1st grader, but it sounds like there is assault going on.

futuremathsprof likes this.