Advice on earning additional income wanted.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Aug 14, 2013.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

After 21 years of dirt cheap rent in the same apartment , the owners want me out. I got a notice to vacate or else, and have therefore found a new apartment.

The problem is that my yearly rent will go up $3400/ year starting next month, so I will need to increase my income to keep this unit for an extended period.

I know many subs here supplement their income to make ends meet, and I was hoping to get some suggestions from some of you.

Any advice on a good way to supplement sub income would be welcome.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Tutoring

Retail

Waitressing

Bar tending

4. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 14, 2013

I work retail. I find that it works well with my schedule, and it allows me to work with people on a one-on-one basis. I hope to add some tutoring to my work experience as well.

Serving would work well with a sub schedule, too. See if you can get evening and weekend hours to work around your subbing. Only bad thing about serving is you are basically working for tips and some people just don't tip well, no matter how well you serve them.

Good luck finding supplemental work!

5. casub

casub Rookie

Aug 25, 2013

Check out the online service Blogmutt. They pay about $8 per article you write. That doesn't seem like much at first for the work you put in, but after you get the hang of it, you can hammer out a few articles a day, and at your leisure. There's already lots of teachers on there supplementing their incomes.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

Tutoring is probably the quickest, least painful way for teachers to earn some extra cash.

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

I know some students who work retail (they hate it, though). I heard tutoring is a good way. If I don't get full-time soon, I'm considering it. I'm also starting up a business in making invitations (still slow, but would be great if I'm still a sub).

8. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

I love tutoring! I've done it part-time since I started student teaching. I make a lot more money than I would working retail and it's way less stressful than waitressing.

Also I know a lot of teachers/subs become Mary Kay, Arbonne, etc. consultants. I'm working on becoming a Mary Kay consultant but I've been soo busy. Funnily enough, my CT is going to help me out with it (but we're both busy with the start of the school year).

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

I tutored a couple years ago and I enjoyed it at first.

Then, the company decided to make us input a bunch of stuff in the computer for every student and every session, and it was a pain, especially for my slow dial up.
    I have now joined the 21st century, so it is something I can consider again.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

I am doing private tutoring and charging $50 an hour, which is middle of the pay scale here. I don't think I could work at a tutoring center. Not my thing!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2013

I've always tutored privately.

I printed up copies of my resume and wrote a cover letter. I made up some business cards at Vistaprint.

Then I sent them to any public, private or charter high school (except my own) within a reasonable commute. (I sent them to the director of guidance.) I asked them to pass on some of my business cards to any of their students needing a tutor.

When I returned to work in 2006, I was making $70 an hour I think.

12. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Oct 21, 2013

You can also try selling your lesson plans. There is a website called teachers pay teachers that allows you to create your own marketplace to sell lesson plans- they have some awesome ideas on there.