Advice on Credential Programs in CA

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mrteacher2018, Jul 6, 2018.

1. mrteacher2018

mrteacher2018 New Member

Jul 6, 2018

Hey, everyone. I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I recently graduated from SJSU out here in California and am looking into teaching credential programs. There are three that I'm eyeing: Pacific Oaks College, Alliant International University, and my local Cal State.

Pacific Oaks and Alliant are online credential (and optional M.A. in Ed) programs. They would start in August. The problem is that I've never heard of Pacific Oaks before, and the only knowledge I have of Alliant is I once had a community college instructor who was working on her PhD in psych there.

The local Cal State requires a $1000 out-of-pocket, Open University class on classroom technology before I could start in January and I don't have the money for that. It also doesn't have the optional M.A. in Ed. However, I know its reputation and credibility.

Does anyone have any opinions on online credentials or programs from Alliant (which is where I'm looking into the most atm)? If I'm looking for a post-program job, does it matter where I got my credential? Will it affect my job prospects?

Thank you very much for any advice!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2018

All are reputable choices. Forty years ago, Pacific Oaks was one of the go-to institutions for master's degrees for working teachers in California's Central Coast. I assume that Pacific Oaks's online offerings will work like Alliant's, or for that matter National University's or those of any of the several dozen reputable bricks-and-mortar schools that have launched satellite and online offerings in the last decade.

The most cost-effective choice, aside from that ed-tech course, will be SJSU. If you can pick up the ed-tech course and other prerequisites at a community college, especially one that articulates with SJSU, it will be cheaper.

CSU on-ground credential courses usually begin in August or September, and the application deadline is usually around March. You might also want to check to see whether SJSU will offer a program beginning in spring, in which case your deadline is September or so. Alliant and other online programs tend to offer staggered entry - you can begin in any month, or at least in most months - so it gives you more flexibility but you'll pay more.

Frankly, what one gets out of any credential program is directly proportional to the effort and thought that one puts into it.

4. nhatmeister

nhatmeister New Member

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM

Hi,
    What was you decision ? I have a similar decision to make.

Thanks