Advice for going back to teach full-time

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by corunnermom, Jan 14, 2018.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Jan 14, 2018

I am currently a kindergarten paraprofessional and have been for 2.5 years. I have a teaching license in the state of Colorado. I taught first grade for 5 years, second grade for 1 year and preschool for 1 year. My daughter passed away in 2013 and I just wasn't ready to go back to the workload and added stress of the classroom. I am in the midst of a divorce now and will have to go back to teach full-time. Honestly, I've been toying with the idea for the past couple of years, but I've been scared to go back. I haven't taught full-time in elementary school since 2007 (I was a stay at home mom). Things have changed so much...curriculum, testing, etc.! Also, it seems as though the workload has tripled. If I wasn't such a perfectionist, I may be able to handle it. Any advice or words of wisdom

3. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jan 14, 2018

If it's in your heart, go back. Teaching is only getting crazier. You might want to look into other jobs. Like do a job training program like medical assistant. It's really what you want to do. I only see myself teaching for a few more years then doing a career change. Teaching isn't fun anymore.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2018

I was home with my kids for 10 years. Getting my foot back in the door was a bit of a challenge--I started with day-to-day subbing, then did 2 long-term sub assignments (one 4 months and one 9 months), then got a permanent, contract position.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2018

It's very different when you need to go back (to support yourself) vs you can dabble in teaching, meaning part-time (because your salary is nice but not necessary). I'm thinking that you are in the first category now, so if my heart wasn't into teaching at this point, could you make enough money as a school secretary or something like that?