Advice for first year daycare teachers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by erika_2392, Jun 15, 2017.

1. erika_2392

erika_2392 New Member

Jun 15, 2017

So I'm a teacher in training and this is my six week working at this daycare, and I work with the toddlers. The truth is even though I love being with the kids, someday's I just feel so stress and overwhelm that I kind of feel like maybe I'm just not meant to be a teacher.
    I actually studied to be a preschool teacher but somehow I ended up working toddlers. I do love the toddlers but sometimes they just don't listen to me. My coworker would yell at them, and I don't want to yelled at them since I was taught in my child care classes that we shouldn't do that but somehow it seems the only way for them to listen.
    So i need advice, on how to handle all this. Did any of you felt overwhelm during your first time working at a school? Have you ever deal with a coworker like mine that seems to get annoyed if you do something wrong or even ask questions? How can I handle dealing with misbehavior with toddlers?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 16, 2017

Just a few thoughts....
    -teaching preschool is MUCH different than working with toddlers. If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed (which is justified), you might want to look for a position working with older children
    -screaming is most definitely not the way to work with toddlers. I'm so sorry that's being modeled for you. I have a toddler and would be livid if I heard his teachers screaming. At that age, redirection is key. Even things like time out really aren't age appropriate. However, my biggest concern is that if you work in a center where screaming at toddlers is acceptable, is this a quality early childhood center? Where is the director or other teachers to provide help when this is happening?

Keep in mind that toddlers are still exploring their environments and learning what to do. Your job is to constantly model and provide appropriate language skills and demonstrate appropriate social skills. If a child is doing something that you don't want them to do, explain and model the correct behavior. This might look like a child climbing on the table and you say "oh you want to climb? You may not climb on the table, but you can climb on the slide". Or for a child that's hitting, you might say "gentle hands. Tell your friend 'that's mine'."

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 16, 2017

What defines toddlers in your state?
    In mine, toddlers are 15 months to 23 months, after that at 24 months, they're considered 2-year-olds (which is why it irks me when people still use months past 2 years of age!)
    I used to work with toddlers as my first job as well! I loved it so much.
    With that age, you have to constantly redirect and say "no" if they show misbehavior.
    For example, if they hit another child, you tell them "no hitting! That hurts! Ouch!" and have them show nice hands (take their hand and pretty much pet or stroke the other child to show being gentle vs hitting), and then redirect. You really have to be on top of them! They are so smart & so quick!
    Definitely agree with no yelling unless you happen to see something across the room that is going to end badly
    For example, if the other teacher is changing a diaper and you're with a couple toddlers and you see another tod out of your reach about to bite someone. Then you can "yell" to get their attention and distract the biter from biting until you can reach them!
    I enjoyed working with those little guys so much. Thanks for bringing me back to some fond memories.