Advice about a Life Change

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corunnermom, Nov 3, 2018.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Nov 3, 2018

I love this forum and have received so much good advice!

Currently I am a first grade teacher at a very difficult school. I had to go back to full-time teaching after being away for ten years. I recently got divorced and I could not make ends meet on a paraprofessional's salary. I was a teacher for ten years prior to being a para, so I have experience but teaching has changed quite a bit in ten years. I have already hit burn out...huge workload, being new, very challenging students with Tier 3 behavior issues, new curriculum, etc. I'm a very hard worker and have persevered through some very difficult life experiences, but I've really lowered my expectations at work just to survive. On a personal note, my relationship with my ex-husband has been abusive, even after our divorce. I am very depressed and need to heal and recover. All of my family lives out of state, so I'm completely alone. I have friends, but it's not the same as my sister. So, I have a yucky personal life and I go to a yucky job everyday. I'm considering moving to Minnesota to be with my sister and her family and teach there. However, I'm concerned about burning a bridge with my current school and having a questionable resume. These are my options:
    1. Apply for a third grade long term sub in Minnesota and quit my job in December. Move during Winter Break. Apply for a full-time teaching job in Minnesota for the following year.
    2. Stick out the year and start applying for jobs in Minnesota in March. Move in the summer.
    3. Stick out my current job for the rest of this year and next year and move next summer.

Any advice would be helpful!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2018

Here are some things I would consider.

Is the long-term job going to pay enough to support yourself? We have had people resign in December several times for one reason or another, so that typically wouldn't burn bridges with the current district.

What is the job market like in that part of Minnesota? Would you run the risk of needing to take a job besides teaching to support yourself?

How much hardship is moving going to cause now vs. summer vs. year later?

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Nov 6, 2018

Quite frankly, the first consideration I would have is the abusive ex. Do you have children with him? If he is threatening you or them, that needs to be the first priority, and if moving helps, so be it. You will be able to find work in MN, and you have a good reason for leaving. Good luck!

MrsC likes this.
  5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 8, 2018

Your first responsibility is to your own health. If your sister is willing and able to welcome you into her home, go there. Get the TLC you need, and as soon as you possibly can. Take time off to get better. Get counseling if you don't already have it. Give yourself a break. If you don't, you may not be able to work at all in the future. Hugs.