Adult Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by change, Aug 17, 2015.

1. change

change New Member

Aug 17, 2015

Hi everyone, I am new here and new to the teaching world! I am looking to get into education, currently trying to figure out my next move. I am wondering what is everyone's thoughts on adult education, I think it is something I would enjoy doing. Also, I am not sure how to get started with it, I do not see a Praxis for adult education, so tell me how you got started as well? Thank you for any information! :D

3. renard

renard Companion

Aug 17, 2015

Students are highly motivated and generally lovely to work with, but it is almost always nights/weekends. The pay is good, but the lack of hours doesn't make it worth it as a sole income.

It is hard to find FT/day work in adult education, so long-term part-time work is par for the course. I continue to do it on the side while I sub K-12, to keep my toe in it for the future.

I'm in Canada, so I don't know US pay/standards, but I get $30 hour and have a related degree (ESL - adult education) plus a 250 hour post-grad certificate in TESL.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Aug 17, 2015

Just remember college/adult Ed is not required students. You don't have to go to college or adult school. I live in CA and worked in an adult school for 2yrs. Getting full-time is almost impossible. I had at most 16hrs a week. (There are NO contracts in adult Ed.) The lack of hours mace medical benefits unaffordable. When moneies get tough in districts or education world the adult school budget is often the first to be cut.

I didn't need praxis I just needed CBEST

IM now teaching in K12 setting and enjoy it.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2015

Every state is different, but adult ed in California has been cut to the bone. It is a good addition to an income, but very difficult to make a living. ESL teachers here seem to get the best deals.

I work 2 jobs to survive.

6. change

change New Member

Aug 18, 2015

Thank you all for the info. I was thinking it would have to be a type of 2nd job. Thinking also of ESL. I have a business degree so thinking of doing Business ED for high school but also looking into other thing. Thanks everyone!

7. victordhone

victordhone New Member

Sep 28, 2015

Adult education helps to achieve aspirations and career goals. It also provides a good growth in the career, ultimately resulting in a better lifestyle. For more information visit Hermods.