Ads

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by smalltowngal, Feb 8, 2013.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2013

I know the ads across the top and on the side come from what we have searched for before; however, I am being bombarded with 'sexy' ads (women in very little clothing, showing off their boobs, etc). I have never searched for anything remotely close to this. Is there any way I can get these taken off? I have seen gone to search for anything and everything to get rid of these ads but they will not go away. :help:

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 8, 2013

Firefox has add-ons that allow you to block virtually all ads. Not some of the flash ads but most of them. Maybe other browsers have similar add-on functions.

4. smalltowngal

Feb 8, 2013

I'm computer illiterate. How would I go about doing that?

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 8, 2013

What browser do you use? I can easily help if you use Firefox.

6. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2013

I don't use Firefox...its just Internet Explorer.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

stg, do you see, next to each of the ads that isn't one of Amanda's own, "AdChoices"? Try clicking on that: it should open a Google page with some information about ads like these and some help with ways you can manage your ad preferences.

8. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2013

I don't see AdChoices next to the pics. :(

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

What browser are you using?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

You said: it's IE. Hm. What ads do you see right now?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

I'm using Safari, but I've also opened A to Z in Firefox, and I'm seeing the AdChoices links there. They're pretty subtle, to be sure. As I type, I see

- three no-image one-line ads at the top of the page: slightly below and to the right of the last, there's a small line "AdChoices" with a triangle that points to the right like a closed greater-than sign with a lower-case "i" inside

- toward the bottom right of the page, a text-only ad for teaching resources at the top of which is the small line "AdChoices" and the triangle with the "i" inside

- a display ad for "The General" on a green background; it shows a goofy guy with a white handlebar mustache and five stars on his green helmet, and tucked right into the very top of the green background is just the triangle with the "i" inside

Each of these - whether or not it actually says "AdChoices" is a live link that will take me to Google's AdSense preferences page.

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 9, 2013

Is there any way your children might have visited a questionable site? :(

13. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Feb 9, 2013

I think using IE it says AdChoices, but on my iPad it's a tiny blue triangle.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

I'm seeing both, JustMe, and on both Safari and Firefox, from which I infer that this isn't that browser-specific (well, except that iOS may optimize for smaller or more vertical display spaces).

15. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2013

I'm now using Safari. If I use IE the ads are still there. I did see the AdChoice on another ad. What's funny is there will be an ad on there and then it will change to a questionable ad. I guess I'll just use Safari from now on!

JustMe~my daughter doesn't use this computer.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2013

stg, the AdChoices symbol is a link that connects you with a page from which you can set some preferences for ads that appear. This should work in any browser.

17. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 9, 2013

Hmm... that's interesting stg. Those types of ads should already be blocked as anything in the questionable categories should have been blocked on my end. If you are only seeing it in IE, it may be possible your browser was hijacked and ads were showing from somewhere else.

As for the suggestion to use ad blocking software, if everyone blocked ads I'd have to shut down the site or start charging membership fees because they are what pay the bills. :(

18. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2013

TG~I did see them on other ads and tried to use that and change the settings there, but that didn't seem to help because they still popped up. I couldn't find them on those particular ads themselves.

Amanda~it is a possibility that IE was hijacked. I think I'll stick with Safari for now!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Feb 10, 2013

I use Chrome, and never have problems with ads. I've also never gotten any questionable content here. When I get on here at school sometimes the ads will be blocked by my firewall, but I don't really have control over that.