Admin threw one hecka question at me today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Mar 13, 2018.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Mar 13, 2018

I've been teaching for 10 years, two years in fifth and the past eight have been in third.
    Basically they called me in and said that they need a strong teacher (yay for the compliment) to sixth grade, then both principal and vice principal stared me down for what was just about the most uncomfortable minute of my life, followed by a 45 minute conversation about how neat sixth grade is (their opinions are slightly biased, as both of them were sixth grade when they were in the classroom).
    The way our district policies have teachers move is by first teacher willingness and volunteers, and second by straight seniority. I am second to top of seniority on my team, so technically I could tell them no and toss that to one of the less senior colleagues on my team (we are losing a teacher on my team: no way around it).
    Here's the dealio: I love sixth grade curriculum. I hate sixth grade hormones. I have been known on occasion to refer to them as 'hormones with feet.' Third grade is my jam, but I much prefer end of year third graders to beginning of the year third graders. It's the independence.
    On the one hand I really don't want to, on the other hand, taking one for the team and making the move gives me one heck of an ace to place right up my sleeve and leave that there until I need it. They've given me a week to make a decision.
    So, here be two questions.
    Question the first is for sixth grade teachers: tell me about it. Pros and cons.
    Question the second: What would you do if you were me.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2018

I taught sixth grade one year. The rest of my career has been in second, third, and fourth. I would go work at 7-11 and sell slurpees before going back to sixth.

How did you like fifth?

nstructor, otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

I moved from 3rd to 6th/7th and never looked back. I really enjoy the independence and the content.

I frankly think everyone should move every 5-10 years. It keeps people fresh. The people I see burn out the fastest are the ones who are like, "I've only taught 4th grade in this room...for 21 years!" :eek:

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Mar 13, 2018

Hated it. But it wasn't the kids, it wasn't the curriculum, it was a superior who is no longer with the school. Actually, she's not with us at all anymore--and not one tear was shed over this fact.

6. rpan

rpan Comrade

Mar 14, 2018

I think go for it. If you enjoyed 5th grade, I think it will be fine especially if you get all the students in a routine at the beginning of grade 6.

7. blazer

blazer Groupie

Mar 14, 2018

Negotiate a raise?

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2018

And there are SO many of those teachers. I applaud them but then just ask "How?'' I NEED change and definitely couldn't see myself doing the same thing for 21 years (or more) in a row. Haha I subbed for Kindergarten for two weeks in the same room and I was scratching at the door to get out by the end!
    :rofl:

9. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 14, 2018

My dream is to teach 6th grade...

I actually get along with tweens.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2018

I would probably do it. I'd also probably try to leverage some sort of perk for myself since I'd be doing them a favor.

Backroads likes this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 14, 2018

I'm always up for a change.

We've got 8 teachers at my site who've taught at this site since the school opened in 1994 (same grade-level, same classroom, same everything). I couldn't do it. No siree!

Thankfully, two of them are retiring this year. They're two of the absolute most negative people I've ever met. I get the feeling they're unhappy in their personal lives, too, though.

svassillion likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 14, 2018

I once had a principal who said he worried almost more about the person stuck in one position for eons than the teacher always changing it up.

MrsC likes this.
  13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2018

I find that I'm a better teacher when I change things up.

bella84 likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2018

This is why I like subbing because I get to see it all and practice both management and instruction in a variety of settings. I get that you can become a pro by staying in one grade for a long time, but I think you also can become too comfortable whereas changing every few years forces you to learn new things and try out different management systems, instructional techniques, etc. But I like when they ask you and don't simply say to you "we need you to move here.'' That's not cool.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 14, 2018

I don't like sixth graders at all. They were far too needy for me, Of course, I had come from upper high school.

I did, however, like 7th grade and taught it for 17 years (yes, in the same room) before moving to 8th grade. I'm technically not certified to teach sixth graders, just 7-12, so chances of me ever having to teach sixth again are slim. I like the middle school kids, as long as they are older.

nstructor likes this.
  16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2018

I like 6th grade because they appreciate my snarky humor, they are still halfway excited about school, and they are so afraid moving from 5th to 6th at the beginning of the year that I can get them to accept my rules and procedures!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Mar 14, 2018

I wouldn't do it if your primary motivation is that it makes you look like a team player. I would do it if you think it could be a good move for you and one you could be happy with. If you move and are miserable you may not be able to move back and you won't look like a team player if you are miserable. You could ask to spend a few days in 6th to see what it is like? This time of year would give you a good picture.

Been There and Leaborb192 like this.
  18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 14, 2018

I teach fifth, and I’ve taught seventh. I think sixth would be amazing. I do agree about the need to switch things up. I’ve been in fifth the last ten years, and I’m dying to make a switch. I love what I do, but there’s no challenge anymore. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find strong fifth grade teachers, so unless I move schools, I don’t see a change happening anytime soon.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 14, 2018

:rolleyes::rofl:

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 14, 2018

I see this myself!
    Fifth grade postings almost never get filled internally. They always end up going to brand new teachers.

21. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 14, 2018

I really think it’s a shame. Fifth grade is fantastic! The content is deep enough to really make the kids curious. They are starting to figure out who they are without all the attitude typically saved for middle school. They really are still kids. My personality really isn’t suited for lower elementary, and I wouldn’t want to move grades if I didn’t feel like I was starting to get stale.