ADHD and Autism in a regular ed classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by miss_ali1984, Sep 24, 2010.

1. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 24, 2010

I have two autistic/ADHD children in my classroom and 3 more who are not diagnosed ADHD but they are either undiagnosed or have many of the same symptoms. Since that makes up about a fourth of my class, I was thinking about having either some small group accommodations or even some whole class accommodations.

I have already tried modifying my behavior management system so that I could ensure these children get to go to recess, as there are not many breaks during the day.

At this point it is barely managable. One of the young men in my class has PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) and it's hard enough getting him to stay in his seat and just not cause havoc by himself. I have been told that his ARD will be "awhile" and have nothing but regular accommodations for him. With the others too, I feel like there might be some things I could do with the whole class that would help ALL of the students.

Any advice?

3. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

You might want to try building in some very, very short breaks for all the students. When there is a natural break in instruction, or you that kids are getting antsy, have everyone stand up and shake their arms or do a couple of jumping jacks or do a few yoga stretches.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 24, 2010

Here are some ideas...
    - whole class visual schedule posted somewhere in the room
    - some type of token economy
    - active, hands-on learning options
    - movement/gross motor breaks (chasingcoments posted about this above) - can be as simple as materials being across the room and the student has to get up to go and get them
    - allow for student interests in lesson planning
    - ensure that all directions you are giving are concrete and literal
    - tell students what you want them to do (not what you don't want them to do)
    - use redirection (give student a different task or a different way to do it) when they get "stuck" on things
    - break directions down in to small steps
    - ensure that the day is predictable for the students - keep a similar schedule every day and prepare the class for any changes (establish routines)
    - keep clutter and noise to a minimum in the classroom
    - have fidget toys available for students
    - use checklists and reminders (include visuals with the written)
    - teach social skills to the whole class (there are quite a few resources out there that can be used)

5. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 25, 2010

@mom2mikey: I already have some of these going, but many of them are new and extremely helpful. Thanks SO much. :)

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 25, 2010

@missali - I'm both a mother to a child with speical needs and a teacher in a self contained classroom. For the first few years of my son's schooling he was integrated in to the "regular classroom". It is always wonderful to see teachers who seek out ideas for how to successfully include students with special needs. You touch my mother's heart by going the extra mile for all of your students and recognizing that there are things that can be done on a whole class level. Thank you :).

7. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Sep 26, 2010

My pleasure! I love each of them, especially the ones that need special help. ;-)