Additional Woes Re: Principal Cert

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Jul 25, 2012.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

I posted a while back about being afraid to ask my principal about the internship requirement of my school leadership program that I was just accepted into at a nearby, respected university (leads to principal cert). Just got this job about three weeks ago, just got accepted into princ program at the same time.

I still haven't told her, because I wanted to tell her in person, and I've been out of town and she's been out of town, etc.

Anyway, I JUST got documentation from the university today about the "requirements" for the internship... and it requires the principal to come to the university once per month, among many other, TEDIOUS duties!!!! Now I am TERRIFIED to ask!!! Who wants to do that??? I feel like I will have to pay her or something. I mean I know it's great to have a "school leader" at your school... but outside events an hour from school? EEK!

Any suggestions? Or your think she will be "honored" :roll eyes: I selected her as my intern leader?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

Maybe you can contact the person at the University they would be meeting with and find out if it can be done by phone. Explain that you will be new and don't feel like it's something you can expect the Principal to do. Unless they are provided with some type of stipend (even this might not do it though). I'd call tomorrow then contact the Principal.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

That's a strange requirement! I agree to contact the university and get more information first. Did you already ask your principal to be your mentor? When I did my administrative internship, the university supervisor came to my school and met with us there. That seems to be the more logical way of doing it!

5. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Remember - your principal probably had a very similar requirement when he/she was working on his/her degree! They understand the work and effort required to become a principal. Take a deep breath and try to go in and discuss this with him/her as soon as you can.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

I would verify with the university before talking to your principal. This seems a little out of the ordinary unless they are paying your principal.

Then I would bring everything in when you talk to your principal.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

Is this your first teaching position? If so, I would advise you wait to enter the program until you have some experience. By then, your administrator may jump on board with you.
    If this is a new position (and you are experienced), then I suspect your principal already knows you possess leadership qualities (that's maybe why you were hired) and you'll be able to discuss the pros and cons of this particular program.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

It's a new position...OP has experience :)

9. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jun 28, 2015

I know this is a really old post (3 years old!) But I am curious how things went for the OP?

I am in a similar situation right now.

I am moving into a new school this year and finishing up my M.Ed in Administration/Supervision (which leads to principal cert) and I feel awkward about asking my Principal for Internship.

10. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Jun 28, 2015

When I started my admin program, I started a new job, so my advisor said to not let my current school know I was going for admin degree. Instead, I'm interning at a summer school to meet state requirements. My program does not let untenured people do internships in their own schools. Find out from your program what they say.