Additional education advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jk4744, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jk4744

jk4744 New Member

Dec 4, 2018

Teaching is going to be my second career, I can see the finish line in my military career and finished my MAT (Social Studies) in April. I'm on military orders until July so I won't start teaching until next August, but I want to take advantage of the time off and take a few classes. I just can't decide which route to go. I have a BA in History and the MAT. I've looked at online MA in History or EdS in Curriculum & Instruction from Liberty University or a Masters in Education (which i'm concerned may be too similar to the MAT). Pay wise (either route) ill reach the Masters +30 qualification and it is a nice pay bump in South Carolina.

I've served as an instructor in the military for the last 11 years and that role drove me to teaching. I just can't decide between History or Education. I like the idea of being able to teach history at the community college level during summers, but I also believe with my military background and leadership training that I'd like to go into administration later. I'll be 39 next year (and two kids) so I don't have tons of time to spare or waste which is why I want to take some classes while I'm out of the classroom this year.

Anyone have any advice? I'll be going into my first year of teaching in August and I'm really looking forward to it.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2018

If your MAT is online or for an institution that isn't based in your state and you haven't started the licensure process, do check carefully with the state department of education or licensing authority to ensure that you've fulfilled all of your state's requirements for initial licensure. I know of at least one institution with market share in a neighboring state that requires its graduates to pass the institution's state's exam, and then the state in which the graduates actually live requires them also to take its exams for licensure.

As for the M.Ed. vs. MA in history, many states won't issue an admin license to, and some states won't even accept an application for an admin license from, an applicant who has taught for fewer than five years - irrespective of the applicant's previous experience outside of a school system. If you haven't already done so, it might be prudent to find out whether that's the case in your state.

Posts in another thread have reminded me that few states are now issuing licenses in history alone - most licenses are now for social studies or social science, with the expectation that the holder can teach a course or two of civics or economics or geography or even psychology - and that, in many states, history teachers also coach and/or coaches also sometimes teach social studies. If you're having trouble choosing between the M.Ed. and the MA in history, you might want to enhance your marketability in the shorter term by spending the upcoming months (a) sharpening your social-studies chops outside of history, (b) thinking of sports you could coach, or (c), given your background, looking into JROTC and/or what your state would require for you to be able to teach military science.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. jk4744

jk4744 New Member

Dec 5, 2018

I should have mentioned that I am already licensed to teach secondary social studies, so the history masters would just put me into the Masters +30 pay scale and increase content area knowledge.
    South Carolina has a three year minimum of teaching before any admin duties. It will take me longer than three years to complete whichever route I go. I just hate to waste time when I could be working towards something.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 5, 2018

I see now.