Additional certifications...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, Jan 30, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 30, 2019

So, I'm looking to grow in my career and open myself up to more opportunities. I've been a teacher in a Catholic school for the past 10 years. I've been trying to get into a public school system but it seems nearly impossible. I have my Master's in Elementary Ed (K-5) and my cert in Special Ed that I obtained 2 years ago. I will be taking my Praxis text for Math to hopefully get my cert to teach Middle School in that subject. I already have the credits for that, so all I have to do is take the test- which is great! I'm looking to maybe enroll in another program to get another cert under my belt but am trying to figure out which one is most "worth" it for me at this time.

My principal is trying to convince me to GO for my principal's cert bc he truly feels I have the qualities to be a good leader. I'm not so sure I'd even WANT that position. I have only been in a Catholic school so I don't even know what it's like to be in public school setting. A part of me feels like I should see what it's like to just be a teacher in that setting first before anything else.

If I did something like earn my principal's cert, I'd obviously want to go somewhere with the most potential and job security- which would be a public school system. So, instead of that, I'm thinking to maybe just START with a Supervisor's Cert since it's less credits and I feel like it'd be "baby steps".Then, there's always an ESL cert, which I know those teachers are in high demand.

Just torn and although I don't even HAVE the money to go back to school, I'm just wondering if I should take advantage of the time and situation right now.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 30, 2019

If I didn't have the money to go back to school, I would try to focus on adding certifications that only require passing a Praxis. Math would be a step in the right direction. If you have the credits for science, I would look into that, as well. I am assuming that your SPED is a TOSD, so that means you need to have the content certification to utilize it. Whatever MS certs you can attain, the better, although SS would be my last choice to add. I would wait to go back to school until there was a chance of tuition reimbursement, perhaps from public school employment.

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 1, 2019

Awesome point, Vicki! I’ll focus on the math cert for now, especially because of the money, and see what happens down the road.

Thank you for always taking the time to share such great advice! It’s always so helpful! :)