Add two hours to your day, keep your pay the same....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AmyMyNamey, Jun 15, 2017.

1. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 15, 2017

This district....WOW! Maybe they're only adding an hour, but the pay isn't going up!

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/n...s-tardy-bell-ring-hour-earlier-k-5/399123001/

I know their schedule well enough to say the article misrepresents the previous student dismissal as 3:00, when it was, in fact, 2:30 for the students (the student day ran 8:30 to 2:30; the teachers' contracted day ran from 8:00 to 3:30). Elementary teachers will have to work from 7:00 to 3:30, or an extra hour per day—despite their existing contract, and without additional pay. These teachers haven't seen a raise in 12 years.

Bus routes will be extended from half an hour to over an hour. Buses will be crowded, violent, and out of control.

Who will want to send their kids to these schools? Who will want to teach there?

I feel horrible for these teachers and these families. It's as if the state has declared war on the entire city.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    RWorld1 and Backroads like this.
  3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Jun 16, 2017

My district made a similar change (added almost an hour to the day) but we had longer and more frequent breaks during the year. We worked the same number of minutes, just divided differently. The teacher day was 8-4, and students from 8:15-3:50. It helped save enough money that teachers got their first cost-of-living raise in several years.

4. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 16, 2017

I doubt this was done in secret, away from public scrutiny, in order to give teachers raises and make everyone happy.

After a dozen years, and in light of Indiana's anti-labor movement, I do not see a pay raise in their future. Frankly, the objective seems to be to coerce as many teachers as possible to quit and thereby worsen conditions for those teachers and students who remain. This, in turn, will continue to peel more teachers and students from the district, well into the future.

The larger, over-arching goal for our state legislators is to replace public schools with cheaper for-profit operations—not to give teachers raises of any kind.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2017

My school has extended the school day by one hour. Teachers are compensated for that additional hour at our hourly rate, which is very fair.

otterpop and AmyMyNamey like this.
  6. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2017

I wasn't able to tell from your article how shifting the start time was adding two hours a day? Do you know for a fact they are not adjusting the ending time for students and teachers? I would think if they were staggering start times for buses to transport students, dismissal times would also have to be adjusted. If they are truly adding two hours a day without pay only for elementary teachers, then the teachers definitely have a right to be upset about that.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jun 16, 2017

I know of several different districts who do this. My teacher day is 7:30-4:00 so I don't think their day is that bad.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2017

Similar scenario here: teacher day increased by 30 minutes, and that creates 7% of the 12% pay bump that we're getting in our contract starting next year.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  9. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 16, 2017

I've talked to a few friends in the district. Only the elementary teachers are having their day extended. Middle school teachers start and leave later, but with the same number of hours worked.

There has been no mention of any compensation, however. Everyone believes the goal remains to coerce more teachers into quitting; they're already losing a dozen or so each week.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/ward/2017/06/16/breakneck-s/402884001/

10. mathematicalanomaly

mathematicalanomaly Rookie

Sep 12, 2017

I would be LIVID, as an elementary teacher, to be my told my day just got longer, I'm not being fairly compensated for it by either time off or pay, AND it's only the elementary teachers, not middle or high?

Nope, no way. I'd quit.

Backroads likes this.
  11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 12, 2017

What if it was to match the number of hours the other teachers already teach?

In my district elementary school teachers teach one less hour per day than the secondary school teachers. But all teachers get paid the same, based on years of service.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:04 AM

No. We gained a number of teachers from the district who were finally driven out following this last indignity.

The schedules were changed to destroy a local employer and hide the number of hours kids are now spending on buses, with the added bonus of driving more teachers to quit.

The district is actually cutting pay while increasing those work schedules.

God bless America.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM
  13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:47 AM

What proof do have to back up your statements?

bella84 likes this.
  14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:26 AM

My sister's school added an hour and they were not compensated. She taught art and even specials teachers had the extra time. (She also had lunch duty 6 times a week as well as dismissal duty.) She retired early.

15. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Indiana once had a reputation for strong neighborhood schools. Now the last three governors have had it in for teachers and pubic schools. So sorry for the teachers and students!

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM

I had a different response before I actually started typing this. I think that I do support the idea of all teachers on the same contract working the same number of hours in some way. That might not look the same across all grade levels or positions, though, and it may mean an additional prep period for elementary teachers. I'm okay with that, as long as everyone has the same start and end times or total number of hours per day. I definitely believe that all teachers should be entitled to the same minimum number of prep periods/minutes, but I can understand how some levels or positions might require additional prep time.

svassillion likes this.
  17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:40 AM

See, I don't think that all teachers need the same prep periods/minutes. Some teachers have less to prep than others. For instance, there is a teacher at my school that teaches one course over and over. She has three periods of the same class and that class has not changed in several years. She teaches an English course. Meanwhile, we have a chemistry teacher that teaches three different classes. Not just variations of the same course. Not only does she have three different courses to worry about, she has all of the prep and clean up of a chemistry lab. Plus the maintenance of the chemicals. Her classes tend to have more students in them because she is the only option for two of the courses. But I don't know how making it fair could be monitored.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM

What I said was that they should all be entitled to the same minimum amount of prep time, i.e. 50 minutes per day or something like that. I agree that some teachers may need more, and I'm okay with that, but everyone definitely needs at least some.

I don't know how to make that fair either. The prep demands differ from grade level to grade level and from subject matter to subject matter. If I'm teaching Virtual Lab where students work independently in online courses, my prep time is devoted entirely to grading. If I'm teaching kindergarten, I'm spending a lot of time cutting things out, putting stuff up onto the walls, assessing students, analyzing data....It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Even in your example with the English teacher who teaches the same class over and over, she likely has some pretty hefty grading to do--those papers don't grade themselves. Her prep work happens on the back end, whereas the science teacher's prep work happens in the front when she has to set up labs and whatnot. It's different but kind of not.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    bella84 and teacherintexas like this.
  19. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM

Fair =/= equal, and because of how wildly each position can vary, to some (not all - many understand and accept it), they will always feel as though there's some unfairness.

bella84 likes this.
  20. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM

This is not about prep times, or teachers deciding which teachers work the hardest and deserve more or less of anything.

This is about an Indiana district extending hours while cutting pay. This is about a local employer being forced to shut down. This is about poor kids receiving substandard services that grow worse every year. This is about a district's wild spending sprees being taken out of teacher's pay and benefits.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Tyler B. likes this.