Accused of assault

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newbie12, Jun 1, 2017.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jul 24, 2017

This is unfortunately true now with cell phones our students use! It seemed very hard to get them to stop.

2. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 24, 2017

There is a video on YouTube--TAKEN BY A STUDENT--where the male teacher (it may have been a substitute) warned the students about the consequences of cell phone use in class, then, walked over to a student and took his cell phone. The 6-foot, 16-year-old, Mike-Tyson-sized student, jumped up in a RAGE, punched the teacher in the head and the teacher hit the floor with a BANG, UNCONSCIOUS! 911 was called, the whole deal, it was on the news.

That video taught me a lesson on HOW CAREFUL WE NEED TO BE when dealing with kids these days. I have confiscated MANY CELL PHONES in my career, but after seeing that video, I stopped, and began to delegate that job to security.

anon55 and MathGuy82 like this.
  3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 24, 2017

I just found out a few months ago from a coworker that the cameras in our classrooms cannot be used against us, and it is stated in our contracts. We have cameras in every classroom; teachers have the option to not use them. I always wanted them because then no one can ever accuse me of anything and it clears up questions about fight, things stolen, etc. The cameras are very good quality and in color. I didn't care that I was recorded, but now knowing that they can't use them to track me, it's even better.

Leaborb192, anon55 and MathGuy82 like this.
  4. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jul 24, 2017

Great posts!! I get worried about this and it's already giving me the jitters this year about the upcoming year. Students on their phones and then they react badly when we try to take them away. All the chaos it cause just to have a cell phone rule, and from the video above it can end really badly in some cases.

5. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 24, 2017

Interesting thread. It matters if your state is a single or two party state. Federal government says single, you can record any conversation you are present for. This goes for telephone conversations, airports, plane flights, etc. If you live in a two party state (say California) all persons in a conversation must be told it is being recorded IF it is going to be used in a lawful endeavor (ie court or as a legal witness). If it goes to court, the usual evidentiary principles are applied (chain of custody and such). That middle school teacher who was murdered by a previously taught student was such a case. She recorded her murder and the police found the recorder she had triggered. There was a big todo about excluding it as evidence since she had not asked her murderers if she could record them. Finally it was concluded that she was abducted in a single party state and did not need their permission. They were found guilty. So check with your state laws. Districts be d@mned, they do not want proof of their intent, incompetence, and malfeasance. They will bring in a "witness" who will eventually lie about the whole thing (yes I have had that happen in my career), and where is your witness? Hopefully in your pocket (like mine was). I did not get rehired by that district and we may still wind up in court. But I did not get "sacked", lose my pension (could happen depending on the lie), or the loss of that semester's pay. Interesting that the Dr ? HR tried to say it was against the law for me to do this and say "I forbid you to record me," she had HER witnesses there. I replied that state law gave me the right to self defense and equal protection, did not need her permission. She never mentioned it again in other meetings, I suppose she researched it. I still maintain that ALL of us need to be aware of your rights and the laws within your state. AND yes you should consider that at any time or place you are being recorded, because you are. The kids with cell phones are and they do not respect Laws or RULES. They will bait you and then happily record you and post it to the WEB for notoriety. Just look at what those 5 teens did to the man who was drowning. Lord of the Flies is not fiction anymore or perhaps it never was. Not mad, glad, rude or sad, just experienced.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  6. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 26, 2017

We now have state mandated cameras in any state certified Children's Daycare. Anyone who thinks this is a bad thing need only Google the "Little Rascals" fiasco that gave 99 year sentences to poor daycare workers and owners. It was a modern day witch hunt. Horrible things can happen to ordinary citizens when crazy people in a mob are involved. No sane person can look at the facts surrounding that case and say these people deserved any of what happened. Cameras would have saved a lot of heartache. Mobs do very stupid things. The same thing can happen to competent teachers in a very short time. Quietly, without public scrutiny, behind the scenes. These can also be made very public in such a way as the innocent never have any chance (ie. Little Rascals). But cameras (and audio recordings) are not a good thing, right? NOT IMHO.

7. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 26, 2017

[QUOTE="Linguist92021, . I always wanted them because then no one can ever accuse me of anything [/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Linguist. It reminds me when drug testing was first introduced on jobs, I worked at city hall, where they came around to each employee and personally asked us if we would mind taking a drug test. And I said, "of course not!" Later I was BLASTED by many people in the office who didn't want it! Their excuse was, "It's violates our rights." But my view back then, and still is today, that this is "PROTECTION" for the innocent.

Because the reality is, people can be very evil. They will do all manner of evil against you for whatever reason they have, and if you don't watch your back, you're MUSH!
    As far as I'm concerned, BRING IN THE CAMS and TURN 'EM ON!

It appears to me that the only people worried are those who may have something to hide.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 26, 2017

I agree with you, Linguist. It reminds me when drug testing was first introduced on jobs, I worked at city hall, where they came around to each employee and personally asked us if we would mind taking a drug test. And I said, "of course not!" Later I was BLASTED by many people in the office who didn't want it! Their excuse was, "It's violates our rights." But my view back then, and still is today, that this is "PROTECTION" for the innocent.

Because the reality is, people can be very evil. They will do all manner of evil against you for whatever reason they have, and if you don't watch your back, you're MUSH!
    As far as I'm concerned, BRING IN THE CAMS and TURN 'EM ON!

It appears to me that the only people worried are those who may have something to hide.
    [/QUOTE]
    There are times they can be an issue. If you have pain pills for a chronic issue such as a back problem and you take them passed the prescription expiration date it is seen as a drug test failure even if it was prescribed as needed. That as needed means within a year of the prescription being filled.

I'm for cameras, but there may always be that small exception where it can be an issue just as in the drug testing.

vickilyn and Caesar753 like this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2017

There could come a point where we end up giving up so many personal rights that eventually we may find ourselves living in a police state. I don't do illegal drugs, but I'm not volunteering for any drug tests.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jul 27, 2017

Your contract might say you're protected from consequences of anything on video, but it could be a different story in a court of law.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    greendream likes this.
  11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 27, 2017

Newbie12,
    What happened since you first posted? Have you been able to seek counsel for your defense?
    Were you exonerated? I hope things are going well for you.

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

I could be wrong but I just assume this was a posting meant to bait people. There is no union in the world that wouldn't be involved in this matter the second it came up. School leadership would have had them in the room when they advised the teacher about the issue.

Also, student teachers in NJ this year have to video tape themselves teaching and send it to ETS for grading. Cameras are not far off for everyone.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 1, 2017

Remember, not every school has a union...

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

The implication from others made the assumption so I went with it. I don't believe this post is true because if they were as nervous as implied, they'd be checking and posting.

15. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 1, 2017

[QUOTE="anon55,
    there's value in privacy and I don't want the government or private corporations sniffing in my business. :2cents:[/QUOTE]

I understand your concern, Anon, but society has an obligation to protect the innocent. If this were not a constant problem, then maybe we could decide we don't really need it.

Not long ago, I was watching an interview of an old classmate. He was talking about how he became gay. He said when he was in the 7th grade, a teacher at his school did what he did to him. I was shocked to hear him say that, because he and I were at the same school at the same time. I racked my brain trying to figure out WHICH TEACHER HAD DONE THIS! And even if the student had reported it, it would have been the teacher's word against the student's.

We don't live in a utopia; the reality is, I cannot afford to trust you, with all due respect, and you should not trust me at face value. We can't afford to do this anymore. Society has PROVEN that it cannot be trusted, and that distrust extends right into the classroom--and THE CHURCH!
    I want the teacher over my children ON CAM!

And if you are MORE CONCERNED about your PERSONAL PRIVACY than the protection of the innocent, then, ah..stay at home. :roll:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    MathGuy82 likes this.
  16. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Aug 1, 2017

At my old school, we had cameras--they were installed as a way to record our lessons for posting on the internet for absent students, homebound, etc. I had such a bad class that year that I would leave the camera on when I was out so I could see what went on. Cameras will only work if your admin backs you up. On camera, I had the same student cheat on a test, do a striptease, and call another student a "white ******", all on the same day. The incidents had already been reported by my sub and this student had been written up repeatedly for foul language and vandalism. The response from administration--"The kid is a basketball player. If we suspend him, he can't play, and that will cause him to lose all incentive, and then he'll become more of a problem." I still kept recording, just so in the end, if anything tried to be pulled against me, I had evidence. Luckily, it wasn't necessary. I wouldn't mind cameras in my classroom, as long as I have the ability to turn them off--say on my planning period if I'm making a personal call on my cell phone, or something like that.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2017

Personal privacy is not some trivial thing. If we start giving away all our rights because some people choose to be fearful all the time, we will have no rights left.

There simply cannot be cameras everywhere at all times. Bathroom stalls? Locker room? That wedge of wall space underneath the camera that pans left and right down the hallway? When we live in a society and interact with other people, there must be some degree of trust. When I drive on the road, I trust that the other cars are going to stop at the red light so that it's safe for me to proceed on green. When I send my kids to school, I trust that their teachers and the other adults around them have their best interest at heart and will be good enough at their jobs to ensure that they are appropriately supervised at all times. Terrible things sometimes happen, but that's true of anything, anywhere, anytime.

I'll add that even if there were cameras everywhere, it would be next to impossible to prevent 100% of all bad things from occurring. We would be better equipped to prosecute, of course, but unless we are watching every single one those cameras at the same time and in real time and can respond instantaneously when we see something, we won't be able to stop everything from happening. Someone in my town recently had his house broken into while he was away on vacation. He had his house set up with cameras in common rooms and at several points along the exterior. He got many excellent pictures of the person who broke into his house, but he had no way of preventing the theft. The alarm company took about 10 minutes to respond, but the burglar was long gone by that point.

anon55 likes this.
  18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2017

That sounds like a Teaching Performance Assessment, or TPA. The TPA video typically shows a single lesson, or at most snippets from a unit of lessons, and what's getting graded is not so much the video but the aspiring teacher's reflection on what went well in the teaching and what the teacher needs to improve. I'm not sure how we get from this to "Cameras are not far off for everyone."

MathGuy82 and Leaborb192 like this.
  19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

Slippery slope. There will absolutely be a day when classrooms are equipped with cameras. It's just part of societal progress. Cameras on street poles, then to police dash cam, then to body cam.

There are already classrooms equipped with cameras. They could spread to classrooms in many different ways. As a teacher growth tool negotiated with a union, as a requirement or discount program via a district insurance company, as a result of a tragedy etc. Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it won't happen.

That's all I was saying. It's inevitable.

DAH likes this.
  20. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 1, 2017

[QUOTE="tchr4vr, i I wouldn't mind cameras in my classroom, as long as I have the ability to turn them off--.[/QUOTE]

Tchr4vr------Leave it on, ESPECIALLY because you are in the room alone!
    That's when the worst things can take place--WHEN THERE'S NO ONE ELSE TO VOUCH FOR WHAT YOU DID or didn't do.
    Leave it on!