Accepted an Offer, BUT SCARED

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Dalila, May 26, 2019.

1. Dalila

Dalila Rookie

May 26, 2019

Hello! So I have been substitute teaching for a year and I interviewed for a position this last Monday and well they offered me a position! It’s for 4th grade and it’s a charter school. However now I’m second guessing it since I have also been a stay at home mom for the past 3 years after college. I graduated and have 2 children. I feel like I know NOTHING. I am being hired without my credentials, my CSETS... and I am so humbled just extremely afraid. Even though I’ve talked to my husband I feel he doesn’t understand how afraid I am over this. I had a cousin give me “advice” he’s a school counselor and he told me “ get comfortable with the uncomfortable” so my husband basically recants this mantra and I feel like I’m drowing already. The school district is great just it’s in a town I do not really know + fairly new. I don’t know I guess part of me wants some one to scream at me saying if you’re not prepared or feel ready don’t do it but then again when will I truly go for it? I don’t know help?? ( excuse any run on sentences, grammar errors etc writing this whilst shaking)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2019

The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and don't listen to unsolicited advice from outsiders.

The next thing you need to do is enjoy your summer while you prepare for your classroom. Get as much information as you can from the school and other teachers in the school...curriculum, academic pacing guides, grade level requirements, etc.You have plenty of time over the next couple of months to prepare your class management plans, activities, etc.

You are feeling the nervousness that any new teacher feels. Your administration knows this and will help you. Find out if they are going to give you a mentor. If so, maybe you can meet with thie teacher over the summer.

Good luck and enjoy this new adventure!!

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 26, 2019

Along with what @swansong1 suggested, I’d also recommend checking out First Days of School by Harry Wong and Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones. Those books are lifesavers for new Teachers. Both are full of really practical tips for classroom/behavior management and how to establish an effective classroom.

And BREATHE. You will be ok. Do some research and studying, learn your standards, and you will do just fine.

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 26, 2019

You've got this!!

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

May 26, 2019

It's normal to feel scared for anything new, but you will be okay. Your coworkers will help you, as will this forum. You will be a-okay :)

7. Dalila

Dalila Rookie

May 26, 2019

Thank you for the amazing advice and tips! I do not have all summer off I have a month to prepare myself this school is a charter school so their summers/ vacations are different. So my first day would be July 15th. I don’t feel ready at all. I was informed I’ll have a coteacher but no further information. I plan on calling tomorrow to receive more information before I send more items needed to secure the job. I truly feel afraid. Especially since the school integrates special education into the classroom so I’ll also have to prepare for that area. I don’t know I just want to back out now... I rather go back to school and have a little more knowledge than just diving right in. I don’t know...

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2019

It doesn't matter how much education you go back for...nothing will replace the learning you will achieve with actual experience.

bella84 and ChildWhisperer like this.