? about CPR training for Ca credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

I have to sign up to do my CPR training before I apply for my credential (here in CA). I notice that the Red Cross has CPR, and then CPR & First Aid. Does any CA ppl know if I only need the CPR, or CPR and First Aid. I don't see it on the CA commision page.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

You do need both for CA schools, especially in the Pre Schools & Elementary schools. Might as well get both of them so you don't have to worry about it later.
    I miss CA,:(
    Rebel1

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Thanks so much for the info! Now I know what to sign up for,...

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

Hmm...makes me think I need to get re-certified sometime soon...

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

It's funny because whenever a teacher talks about they are dizzy, ready to drop or pass out,etc., I tell them, "Don't do it near me, my CPR card has expired.":D
    Rebel1

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2009

My university where I took my credential & Masters degree classes told me about a website where I could take a CPR class (child & adult) & get certified.

I know what everyone's thinking. How can you truly learn & practice CPR taking an online class in the privacy of your own home? Well, everyone can do what they want, but if you're short on time & want to do it that way, you can.

Under Google, you can type onlinhe CPR class & you'll find a lot of them.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2009

Just FYI not every school will accept the online course. I did it after having already done the in-class training and the holder of my credential (Cal State San Bernardino) said they wouldn't count it.

And yes, you need both. It is rather silly as the first aid portion takes like 20 mins.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 12, 2009

I did the CPR/First Aid online. If you're from CA, you'll need both!!!

Try CPRtoday.com

You can retake the test as many times are you need to and you don't have to attend an all-day-long class because it's entirely online.

P.S. I didn't have to turn in my CPR/First Aid certification until I applied for my Clear Credential, not my Preliminary Credential.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 13, 2009

Here was the course my university told me to take, which I did. My school district accepted it too.

http://abcpr.coursehost.com/groups/config/home3.asp?LID=1&ky=d_BPDiQVRgHzDiPRUmf_DgHzNcDOPa3z

This site offers it all:

CPR (adult,child,infant,AED) Online
    Adult, Child, Infant, AED CPR with two year certification $24.95
    Print your certificate from your computer after completion.

FREE CPR DEMO
    Try it for free!

First Aid Training Online
    $29.95
    Print your certificate after completing all the lessons.
    Certificate valid for two years.

Bloodborne Pathogen Training (Online)
    $14.95

Rockguykev, I was going to Cal Poly Pomona at the time when my school suggested the online course. We're practically neighboring colleagues.

11. jannet10

jannet10 New Member

Feb 21, 2019

As much as I have heard nowadays, CPR certification for teachers is easy to obtain. A typical American Heart Association BLS Certification for teachers class requires about three hours to complete. Upon successful completion of this class, a teacher will receive a CPR and AED certification card that will remain valid for two years.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2019

Thanks for responding.....but my post was from 2009. :) I think I was able to do it online.

13. hmsmark

hmsmark Rookie

Mar 1, 2019

Hmmm, assuming CA means California and not Canada, I have never needed CPR certification for my credential. I've only been in California a few years and got my credential via reciprocity though...

14. denialcotter28

denialcotter28 New Member

Mar 7, 2019

Hello there,
    You should try online CPR training & one time to use either any problem you can ask here.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

I did indeed mean "California" by "CA". Again, that was back in 2009. I have been teaching down in Mexico since, so I really can't say if those requirements have changed or not. This is such an old post and really no longer relevant.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 10, 2019

You teach in Mexico? What’s the pay like?

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

Not great if you're looking at just the salary.....But compared to living costs, it's okay. I live comfortably. I teach at an American school, and part of my salary is quoted in dollars (but paid in MXN pesos, based on the exchange rate), and the rest is quoted in MXN pesos. Part of that is a housing allowance, so that's nice. Aside from normal living expenses and bills, I also pay my student loans every month, which means pesos to dollars. I have extra money to eat out, take weekend and summer trips. :) Many things are relatively cheaper down here in Mexico, so relatively speaking, it's a comfortable lifestyle.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 10, 2019

Nice! Cost of living makes a HUGE difference. And who doesn’t like Mexican food?! It’s delicious. I presume you teach English or am I being overly presumptuous?

Do you ever plan on returning to the US? I also hope your student loans are close to being paid off because I have friends who are inundated in student loans and I really feel for them, especially the ones who are $50,000+ in debt and became a teacher. With the salaries some of them have right are now, they just don’t make enough to pay any more than minimum payments and are looking at paying them off for the rest of their lives pretty much... I can see why there is a teacher shortage because the return on their investment is nominal in a lot of places.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

I don't teach English. I am an elementary teacher who teaches in English, so it's basically English immersion. Our students typically start our school from nursery (it's pre-k through 12th), but they are never taught English; instead, they are instructed in English and therefore learn to speak English that way. I teach reading, writing, math and science.

Regarding my student loans, I am nowhere close to having those paid off. It's a very frustrating situation. We actually might be going back to the states, and one of my reasons is that paying my loans off might be a faster process there than here. However, that might not actually be the case because a friend of mine taught here in Mexico for several years and then returned to Arizona (where she's from) to teach. After a few years, she ended up returning here to Mexico, finding herself with a larger disposable by living and working in Mexico (and paying her loans) as opposed to in the states.

futuremathsprof likes this.