AAFCS certification exam...

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by txbelle, Jun 19, 2018.

1. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

What is the best study guide to use for the AAFCS certification exam?
    I found some quizlet pages to go over which seem helpful, but I was hoping to find something a little more official than that though. Has anyone on here taken this exam? Curious on how hard it is. I'm hopefully taking it in September 2018 and I'm getting a little nervous about it. I'm debating on taking the whole exam to try to knock it out in one try (which I would rather do) or take the two composites separately to make studying easier.

Thanks for any info!:)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2018

Interesting. That's the first I've heard, outside of exams for less commonly taught world languages,, of a subject-matter test under the auspices of a professional organization for teachers of that subject.

The official study guide (which I confess I haven't looked at, but it's available at https://www.aafcs.org/credentialing-center/professional-certifications/aafcs-exam-info) should lay out the test format and suggest how questions are framed. Bear all that in mind, and then see what you can find for other exams for family and consumer science teachers. If a TExES exam for FCS still exists, start there, but try other states and Praxis as well.

txbelle likes this.
  4. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 21, 2018

I passed the TExES PPR (Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility EC-12) already, so I don't have to worry about that one thankfully.
    Thanks for reply. :)
    I would assume that the questions for the praxis FCS exam wouldn't be that different and it wouldn't hurt to look over those practice questions. I didn't know that TExES had an FCS exam so I'm guessing they don't use that one anymore. I will, however, see if I can find practice questions.

I passed the TExES PPR (Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility EC-12) already, so I don't have to worry about that one thankfully. ;)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2018

The internet is very much your friend here. Wikipedia is one of the better tools for test takers (or for that matter for anyone who needs quick insight into what a term means, how it applies, and who cares). Any materials on the AAFCS website that have to do with what FCS content ought to be included in school curricula are worth looking at. There's also likely to be a state-level FCS organization that may have some useful insights.

txbelle likes this.