A Woman Thing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Oct 6, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2008

What does your heaviest period look like?

I've used 7 super absorbency tampons in the last 11 hours. I came home to change clothes this morning. It is slowing down some but it is still heavy.

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 6, 2008

Wow, 7 Supers? Is that normal for you?

I used to use Supers when I was in my teens...but when I got into my twenties I only need Regulars and Lites. I'm not sure how many I use but my period lasts about 5 days and it's pretty regular/light. I buy 1 box of Lites and 1 box Regulars (20 count each) for each period, and normally have leftovers.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2008

I get heavy periods but not as bad as when I was a teenager. Even so, that seems like a lot to me. My coworkers encouraged me to go to the doctor today. She said sometimes women get heavy periods (basically there has to be a pattern). So I'm just wondering how heavy people's periods have to be to be considered HEAVY.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 6, 2008

Mine were never that heavy...have you spoken to your gyn?

Now that I am on a new BC...yaz...I rarely can tell when it is here...

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2008

I've never had to use 7 supers in that short of time. Normally mine are heavy the first day or two, but I only use 3-4 at the most in a 24 hour period.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2008

Please go to your doctor.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2008

I did.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

What did she say?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2008

One heavy period is not an emergency. I have to wait for a pattern.

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 6, 2008

A few years ago, I had a problem with heavy periods every month. I went on birth control pills for a while and that straightened things out again.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 6, 2008

That is a lot. I've never had to use a super in my life. But I do have different flows. It depends. Mine are usually in terms of how bad my cramps are.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

My pattern was a life time long and ended with a hemoglobin of 5 and an emergency hysterectomy 2 years ago. I used two boxes of 40 super plus and two bags of overnight always pads every period. I brought changes of clothes anywhere I went on my periods and opted to stay home on weekends instead of attending any functions. I lost a lot of friends and family connections. I think people thought I was making it up when I said I couldn't come over or couldn't go out. Sleep was impossible during my periods because laying down meant having to sit back up to go to the bathroom within 20 minutes but having to wrap towels around myself to avoid ruining mattresses and staining rugs. I used to just sit on the toilet for the night because it was too exhausting to lay down and get back up all night, every night for a week. My periods lasted 8 days and they never lightened up. They would just stop after 8 days. My periods started to get this heavy when I was 15 and throughout the years, I lived as best as I could. During the past 12 years, I managed to get my teaching degree and work 6 years teaching before finally getting a doctor to take my periods seriously. My classes got used to taking many bathroom breaks and I depended on the understanding of many aids and teachers to watch my class while I walked to the bathroom slowly so as not to have a spill. I prayed never to sneeze or cough while on my period. I many tines found myself stranded in public bathrooms wondering what to do because I was bleeding so much I couldn't stand up without making the floor look like a crime scene yet I was due back in class or at a meeting. I ruined car seats, furniture, airplane seats, bus seats, you name it!! I avoided friend's cars and homes simply to not mess things up. I complained all the time to doctors. I got to the point where my finger nails were light blue and the pinks of the inside of my eyelids were yellow. My fingers and toes tingled all the time. Periods that have a heavy pattern over an extended period of time are no longer considered periods but hemmoraging. (sp)
    I've been period-free for two years now and it's freed my life up so much. I am no longer governed by this. It was horrible and I wasted many years of my life with this medical condition. Luckily, I had my children and knew I was done. To all women....if something doesn't seem right, get it checked out and keep trying until someone pays attention. I am so thankful to have finally run into a gyne who took me seriously. After the surgery, she said my uterus was so full of benign tumors that it just couldn't contract and that's why I was always bleeding so much. I would have been a goner if I hadn't gone to see her.
    Ok...I'm done! Whew!! :dizzy:

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 6, 2008

Mine was like that until I got the Mirena IUD. I would have to wear the super tampon and the always 14+ size overnight super duty pad all day and night to keep from getting in a mess.

15. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 6, 2008

I use a super tampon every 3-4 hours on my period for about 3-4 days. 7 sounds a bit too much though.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 6, 2008

Wow. I count myself lucky after reading these posts.

Zoe, your post made me want to cry. What a life ... thank goodness you found your current doctor! I'm in shock.

For the past 2 years I've taken my pills in 3 week cycles which means I don't have a period. Every 4th month I do take my 4th week of pills and have a very light period. This has been great for me.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2008

Wow! I can't believe nothing was done being as serious as it was!

Mine looks like child's play but when I was a teenager...

The bleeding was heavy but not unbearably so. I did have to go home and change clothes enough times and the secretary gave me nasty looks. This was never the focus. The focus came from all the heavy cramping I had to endure. It would be so bad on my first day that nothing would relieve it until I've had some pain reliever, a hot pad and some serious sleep. The last part was imperative. Yet, how can you do that in the middle of class. Otherwise I got nauseous, threw up, became green or gray, my hands would shake and I would break out into the sweats. I was caught asleep on the floor in the handicapp bathroom stall after I had cried myself to sleep. A college professor dismissed me in the middle of a test after seeing how green I looked (along with the shakes and sweats).

Now I don't have bad periods, just IBS. (Groan).

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 6, 2008

My periods were heavy but now I am on the pill which has helped. I am anemic b/c my body doesn't replenish the blood I lose during my period.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2008

Mine go by how bad my cramps are too. I use the overnights and I usually get the 28 pack and it lasts my normal cycle of 6-7 days.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2008

Thank goodness I am not alone here. My period used to be that bad and without meds it is still pretty bad on that 1st day.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 6, 2008

Zoe, I totally understand your pain. Mine aren't that bad, but close. The first three days I have to change the "overnight" pads every half hour and frequently have trouble getting off the toilet. Tampons area joke for all but the last two days. I'll barely get them in before I need to change them. Everybody who knows me knows that I'm on my period if I'm wearing red. I have a whole closet full of red pants for just this reason. To make matters worse, they come every 19-21 days and last for almost a week, so it seems like I never stop bleeding. My doc wants to perform a hysto before I get to the point you got to, but my ins refuses to cover it. They'll cover hospital stays that require blood transfusions, but they won't cover a procedure that will eliminate the need for them...go figure.

Cut...your doc is right. One random wierd period, as long as you're not hemroging, is something to note and keep an eye on, not something to get freaked out about unless it becomes a problem.