A Tale of Two Situations

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Obadiah, May 11, 2018.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

May 11, 2018

Yesterday, while at Aldi's, the market where you obtain a cart by depositing a quarter, then retrieve your quarter when finished by reattaching the next cart's chain, I was returning and replacing the smelly fish I'd bought yesterday. A gentleman was in front of me with a young boy, about 5, and a girl, about 7. Suddenly, the boy said to his father, "I got your quarter." Somehow, the little dickens (pun intended) had manipulated the cart, I suppose with the chain but somehow without locking the chain, and got his father's quarter back. The father, another man in front of me, and myself began laughing. The man in front of me said, "Smart boy!" The boy, just matter of factly replied, "I did it the easy way." He was quite proud of his scientific experiment (and I think his father was to, although I have a notion he later explained the expected procedure for reobtaining quarters). Anyway, I noticed the two kids then, while waiting for their father, were quite active at the bagging counter and quite chattery, but it was obvious they knew their boundaries. They certainly weren't misbehaving, but they certainly weren't stoic statues, either. The young boy I noticed, even walking out to the car, was in constant motion, mostly his head, noticing everything. Possible future scientist??? Oh, I wish I could have given that father a Parent of the Year Award!

But now the second situation. More often I notice the same hyperness in children who don't know their boundaries. They know their parent's breaking point, but until they reach that point, a parent's "No" doesn't mean diddlysquat! Parents do notice their scientific breakthroughs, but only to yell at them. And their constant chatter, oh! Can't these kids ever shut up! That's it! No candy for you two! Why can't I ever take you anywhere! You two are terrible!

And so I've described the best of times and the worst of times. I fear the worst is also the most often seen scenario. Perhaps this explains what we see in schools today.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2018

Some days are tough as a parent. Kids get tired, cranky, hungry...and act out. In public. But it’s usually not every day and I suspect even the quarter retriever (some would find him a bit of a scoundrel) has challenged his parents at times as well. The best lesson-don’t judge.

dgpiaffeteach and Obadiah like this.
  4. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

May 31, 2018

Perhaps hyper is often a misdiagnosis for curiosity and a strong drive to learn.