A NEW reward at an OLD game

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BarnyardCats, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Jan 8, 2008

I would like an incentive for my students to work toward, re: multiplication facts mastery. I've started a Multiplication Mastery Club. I know lots of teachers do the ice cream scoop idea, but snacks aren't an option for us.

I would like a new idea that does not require food. I have already given out pencils and erasers, lunch with a friend passes, no homework passes... throughout the year for various things. So, I'm in search of something totally different. Any help would be super!
    :confused:

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 8, 2008

Preferred Activity Time (PAT) is a whole class plus individual incentive system which rewards kids with time to do a preferred activity. The activity can by just about anything except it must me learning related and something the teacher can live with. Kicking back and talking to friends is not a PAT.

The teacher starts PAT by giving class 20 minutes for doing nothing. It is a gift. The class can add (+) minutes to their PAT by hustling during transitions, staying in seat, passing in/out materials, clean up, or any of the nuts and bolts stuff that occurs in a typical day of teaching but also wastes a lot of instructional time. The rationale is if you (students) save me time to teach I will give it back to you in the form of a preferred activity. Since the PAT is learning related it is often a game teacher was going to use anyway.

There is also "teacher bonus" built into system. In case of math facts teacher could award extra time, say two minutes (judgment) if a percentage of students beat a time or a specific student increases score. This is a good way to make a kid who is not too popular or doesn't care a hero -- "Class, Matt, Kirk, and Jenny improved by (%) on the facts test. I think that's a teacher bonus and extra two minutes each which will be added to the class' PAT. Let's give them a big hand."

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2008

We've done game time (like PAT), teacher vs. kids shark (PE game), extra recess, creative craft time and we even had one day where we had fun centers (logic puzzles, read holiday books and interactive game on the smart board). It's educational but don't tell them that. The next earned day we are thinking about replacing the deceased class pet and then doing some writing and reading activities and we are building it into their "surprise" earned time. Hehe.

Why not have sudoku puzzle time. Teach them how to play if they don't know. It's addicting and it is math logic related! That's a "reward" for a math activity completed. Print it on paper with cool graphic borders.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 8, 2008

Wow. I just made sure I presented the concepts, they practiced them, studied them, made flash cards, took them home, practiced with parents, and then I started testing. I don't expect to give them anything. They just want to get 100s!! I had told the parents back in December that I expected mastery by the end of January. We practice every day and this week I started testing one fact per day.

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jan 8, 2008

That's great! Nice to see success. There are students for which just the thought of displeasing teacher or parent is horrifying. We might say these students have internalized values and ethics. These are often the students we take credit for even though they learn in spite of the teacher.

In many classrooms grades are not motivation for some students. The eternal question, "Why should I?", will need to be answered with something that appeals to a more basic desire.