A Good Chair?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Superteacher81, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

How important is it to invest in a good desk chair for you classroom? This will be my 5th year teaching and I'm considering finally getting one this year. I'm never at my desk during the day while teaching of course, but I'm thinking about those times before and after school while grading/planning/working on the computer, etc. How many of you have one and was it worth it? How much did you spend?

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I just finished sitting at my pathetic excuse for a chair doing curriculum development. My bottom hurt and I went and purchased a chair. I found on one sale and paid $40 (normally around $90 at Office Depot). My advice is if you've waited 5 years take a bit of time and see if you can find a chair for a good deal. My husband's chair was a yard sell find and it is still in wonderful shape (after about 4 years).

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

In my classroom I have one of those plastic chairs with no arms, a teeny bit of padding, and wheels. It worked out just fine for my needs.

We did just buy a new chair for our desk at home. I think we got it at Office Max... it's the cloth Chelsea style with arms, a high back, and wheels. It was originally $100, but on sale for $50. I'm thinking about getting one for the classroom, but it's not a huge priority.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

I got my own chair several years ago and it was well worth the money. I paid about $100 at Office Depot. I use a cushion on the seat. I'm thankful for it every day.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

I had an old 70's style chair (the ones w/ pleather that have no cushion and have a straight back). It was hidious, and not comfy. I really do not need it during the day, but before and after school was a killer.

One day I made a mention to the janitor about how the bottom was loose, and if he could fix it. Instead he told my principal, and she ordered me a new chair from our district warehouse :)

Thanks for the tips about chairs, I am thinking about purchasing one for my kidney table for when I meet with small groups (and for when my principal comes to visit :) )

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I stole one from home, we just happened to have an extra, and I was never sorry.....well except when my freshman thought they should be allowed to sit in it, and would. Then I got a little upset. But even being able to sit for a few minutes in class to enter attendence made standing the rest of the time bareable.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I am investing in a new chair this year. I don't sit in it during class, but I do before school, during prep, and after school. My current chair wants to flip backwards everytime I sit in it! I'm just waiting for the time I sit down and WHAM! my students just see a couple of feet in the air! I saw one at Wal-mart I'm going to check-out.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

As a former secretary/bookkeeper/computer nerd (well, ok, former on some of them at least!), I will be purchasing two chairs as soon as I have my own classroom. One will be a desk chair, with or without arms, but WITH hydraulic adjustments and LUMBAR support and wheels. I may only use it a small portion of the time, but my back and butt will thank me for the investment! The other will be a 24-30" high adjustable cushioned swivel bar stool, to be used when I am at the overhead projector, etc. (I also want a 3-4 tiered supply cart on wheels for this time, too. I'm short, so it will help me stay at a height so I can keep an eye on my students. Again, my back and butt will appreciate this as well.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

My principal does not frown upon sitting in a comfy chair and teaching from our desks. The place I was at for my first 4 years would reprimand us if they walked in and saw us sitting at our desks...and, we were required to have our desks in the front of the room so the principal could check as he walked through the halls! Crazy!! I didn't sit much last year at my new school because it was my first year but I will definitely be purchasing a big, cozy chair for the upcoming year! Everyone at my school has one!!