A friendly reminder (and a vent)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Sep 9, 2018.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 9, 2018

I am so very sorry that you went through this. People tend to be clueless, but we should realize everyone is going through something in their lives.

A good friend of mine (who I use to work with) had to miss something important because her cat was dying and she had to bring it to the vet. The admins chewed her out for that. They didn't give two hoots that he beloved animal was suffering and needed to be brought to a vet - and she was the only one who was able to do it.

A few months later, she finds out she is pregnant and overjoyed - they had been trying for a few years and she was past 40 already. About a month or two into her pregnant, she miscarries. Except she has parent-teacher conferences the day her miscarriage starts. She was so scared about missing those conferences that she came in while having a miscarriage and had to sit through 8 hours of conferences - talking up their kid and sharing how she will help their kid become better - while losing her own. She didn't think our admin would be understanding after the death of her cat so she avoided asking to be out.

Broke my heart that she couldn't take care of herself and her baby during that time :(

bella84 and vickilyn like this.
  2. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 9, 2018

I am so sorry for your loss and for the added insult to injury you experienced. People who haven’t gone through such things truly do not think about the emotional toll it takes, nor about how their (to them) seemingly innocuous words, questions, or actions may be completely devastating.

After my wife miscarried, people who knew about it would ask her when we would start trying again; people who didn’t know would ask her when she was due. Both were like daggers to the heart. I say this in hopes that, to somewhat echo your sentiment, readers will think more carefully next time before asking any woman about their family planning. If you don’t know what she is going through, you may be better off making small talk about something else.

Once again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Joyful! and bella84 like this.
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 9, 2018

I’m sorry for your loss. Hugs for you.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2018

My condolences, bella84.

A reminder of this nature is always timely.

5. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2018

Good that your P didn't but really bad that this PE teacher did this. Then that teacher who did this needs some coaching. The PE teacher should never require teachers to do things like this. That was rude of this teacher and not thought out. It's putting people on the spot and not very professional unless specific teachers want to do this.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2018

I can't fathom your loss, and hope for nothing but the best in recovering from such a tough time. So very sorry.

And you're so right. We have to always make sure we think about those unintended effects of what we're doing - even if it's meant completely positively.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 10, 2018

Your courage is very inspiring Bella. I’m so sorry this has happened to you and I want you to know that I’m thinking of you and I hope things will be better for you.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 10, 2018

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bella.