A difficult student that I receive little help with

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SabrinaY, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SabrinaY

SabrinaY Rookie

Mar 25, 2018

I haven't thought of that. Perhaps he does. I'd have to ask the guidance counselor if anyone has tried to start an IEP on him. I just know a few people have wanted to do a 504 but that they didn't recommend it since it would be like a get out of jail free card for him.

2. SabrinaY

SabrinaY Rookie

Mar 25, 2018

Friday he came in with a container of slime and I let him keep it over there at his desk. That was the longest he's gone without interrupting a lesson or bothering other students. I told him he could only have it if he finished his work so he did. The only downside was that I kept having to threaten to take his slime when we were walking in the hall. I'm considering going and buying him some playdough like someone suggested.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 25, 2018

A 504 doesn't have to be written such that it allows kids to get away with things. It shows a sad state of understanding about the needs of those who have disabilities.

If IEPs and 504s were written based on the intent of the creators of the law, we would see a very different system of help for individuals who have disabilities.

Backroads likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2018

For a student with an emotional disability, it isn't really a "get out of jail free" card. It may be misinterpreted that way by staff who lack knowledge about special education, but it's not the case. It is true that students with IEPs for behavioral issues can only be suspended a maximum number of days (10, I believe). However, that doesn't mean that they get away with inappropriate behavior after that point. Rather, that guideline is built in as a safeguard for the student. If a school reaches that 10 day mark with a student, then it generally implies that the plan isn't working and needs to be modified. It might mean that a functional behavioral assessment needs to occur, as well as a change of placement for the student. It could mean that additional supports, such as a para or a behavioral plan, need to be put into place. It absolutely does not mean that the plan should stay exactly the same and that the student should just get away with the behavior. If your counselors and administrators are allowing this to go on without at least considering that special education may be necessary, then they are either seriously misinformed or they are trying to skirt the law.

Backroads and Been There like this.