a clever rhyme

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Flanny108, May 25, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 25, 2014

I am giving my sister a Dr. Seuss themed baby shower. Since she is very involved in a battered women's shelter we thought it would be a good idea to ask if the guests could bring a little something to donate. I know many showers ask guests to bring a book instead of a card, a pack of diapers, or another little item. I'm not sure I'm totally on board with this idea, but I have been outvoted by the other ladies helping me plan.

I am responsible for invitations, and was trying to think of a little rhyme that I could include to let people know what to bring.

For example, when people are requesting a book they include the rhyme..

One small request that won't be too hard, please bring a book instead of a card.

You know what, at this point it doesn't even need to be a rhyme. I just can't think of how to word it at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?:help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2014

I think it's lovely that you are planning to include donations to a womens shelter...just wondering if that on top of asking for a book (and people will be bringing shower gifts as well), if it's all just a bit too much? I know you were out voted...just throwing it out there...seems like a lot of directives for a shower invite.:2cents:

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 26, 2014

What kinds of donations are you looking for? The mention of a book was just an example, right?

SIL shares her heart
    with battered women in need
    Please bring them a gift
    and do a good deed.

Thank you for spreading the love.

5. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 27, 2014

czacza, The book was just an example of the type of rhyme that many people use. That would be a lot to ask for.

Thanks Upsadaisy!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 27, 2014

What do the women really need? I have worked with the homeless and at risk, and they need more basics. Deodorant, shampoo, toothbrushes, etc. Something like that would be inexpensive. Even the sample kinds of toothpaste would be helpful.